• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Three very basic, noobish questions for you all...

Ok, so here are a few pictures and a few questions.

1. First off...the yellowed, wrinkled spots around the edges of some of the plants in these pictures...is that just sun scalding or something else?  These plants in particular have been out in the sun without any shade since I put them all out, whereas my "Main" plants have been treated a little more carefully (Controlled sun...about 5 hours a day now).  I've also topped some of these, just to see what it does and how the plants react to the non-topped ones...just for my own understanding/curiosity.

IMAG3122_zpsd94f7b86.jpg

IMAG3123_zpse7427512.jpg

2. Secondly:  This Serrano is typical of some of the ones i've got going right now.  Big and tall (iPad for scale) with sturdy stems...but just about zero nodes or new growth aside from the very top of the plant.  Is this normal?  When should I expect fruit?  

IMAG3126_zps8fa10fab.jpg

IMAG3127_zps3c78349c.jpg

3. Some of my plants are showing roots above the surface of the soil.  Why is this?  Should I be concerned? (Right at the base of the plant, you can see some root system coming up)

IMAG3125_zps8607e6aa.jpg

1) Def sun burnt

2) As you can see the top of the plant already split off, very soon you'll see buds starting from the nodes which create flowers and then peppers. That plant is kinda small and wont produce a ton of fruit. My suggestion would be to pinch all the first couple buds. Its like this, little bit of peppers now or, lots of peppers later. I prefer the latter.

3) The roots at the top of the soil is perfectly normal.

1. looks like sunburn to me....what was your harden off plan?
2. Recently transplanted?....more than likely the plant is working on the root system right now. Once established it will shift focus onto foliage and eventually fruiting. patience.
3. In my opinon not planted deep enough, generally I plant deep...up to first set of leaves. Probably be okay tho...plant will just need more time to work roots into soil and become stable.

my 2 cents

I can't help with questions 1 or 2 because I can't see the pictures (work computer.... for some reason it filters that stuff out). But as far as the roots above the soil, yes, it's normal. They're called adventitious roots. You can cover them with soil if you like and it might help induce more production, but it's nothing to worry about. I've heard that's a way to make stronger, more productive tomato plants as well... plant them sideways, cover the bottom couple of inches of the stem, and let them curve up toward the sun from that position.

Jamison said:
1) Def sun burnt

2) As you can see the top of the plant already split off, very soon you'll see buds starting from the nodes which create flowers and then peppers. That plant is kinda small and wont produce a ton of fruit. My suggestion would be to pinch all the first couple buds. Its like this, little bit of peppers now or, lots of peppers later. I prefer the latter.

3) The roots at the top of the soil is perfectly normal.

When you say "kinda small" which one are you talking about?  If it's the Serrano then I'm in trouble cause that's my biggest one :rofl:

Also, the growing season is relatively short here in Canada.  Once October rolls around then temps are already starting to dip into freezing regularly.  Would that make a difference?
beerbreath81 said:
1. looks like sunburn to me....what was your harden off plan?
2. Recently transplanted?....more than likely the plant is working on the root system right now. Once established it will shift focus onto foliage and eventually fruiting. patience.
3. In my opinon not planted deep enough, generally I plant deep...up to first set of leaves. Probably be okay tho...plant will just need more time to work roots into soil and become stable.

my 2 cents

1. My harden off plan had a tough start.  I wasn't clear to my wife that I wanted to leave them outside (In a shaded area) and she put them in the sun for about 10 full hours.  They got really toasted, but they bounced back somewhat to what you see now.  From that day on I was putting them in a shady corner for about a week, where they'd only get 2-3 hours of sun in the evening...then gradually started placing them on the sunny patio again where they started receiving full days of sunshine up until about 6 at night or so when the shadow from my fence would cover them.  

2. Yes, transplanted this past weekend.  

Buzz said:
I can't help with questions 1 or 2 because I can't see the pictures (work computer.... for some reason it filters that stuff out). But as far as the roots above the soil, yes, it's normal. They're called adventitious roots. You can cover them with soil if you like and it might help induce more production, but it's nothing to worry about. I've heard that's a way to make stronger, more productive tomato plants as well... plant them sideways, cover the bottom couple of inches of the stem, and let them curve up toward the sun from that position.

Excellent, thanks a lot.

What I'm hearing is that none of the issues I've brought up are too big of a deal, if so I'm breathing a sigh of relief.  I want these babies to grow so badly.  

sicman said:
the big problem is you have them watching baseball. i think peppers are more into hockey and basketball.
When the Blue Jays are on game 8 of a 9 game win streak, your Jets and Raptors are out of the playoffs...there are significantly fewer options!

I hear you though.  The day I get to watch the Jets and Blue Jays on the same weekend I'm transplanting peppers into their permanent homes outside will be a good day!!

All of the advice so far is great... just to add my 2 cents on the "nipping of buds". I'm just outside Toronto, so I also have a short growing seaon, although yours may be slightly shorter. It depends on the type of pepper. The Serrano should be okay if you nip the first set of buds. Super hots generally take longer to fruit and ripen up here (sometimes no ripe pods til mid September!) so I tend to let them flower and fruit without nipping unless I am okay with a lower production and intend on overwintering the plant.... like the other poster said, a few fruits now or a lot later.

It's a tough time watching your plants grow all season and treating them in a way that wont yield a lot of peppers, but its a "pick your poison" situation.

As far as plant size, mine are about the same as yours... once they get established though they'll take off. plant size will also depend on the size of pot you're planting in though (again, generally speaking).

Back