• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Using lizard calcium for dosing plants

I have noticed that a few of my plants have a nice curl goin on with a few of their leaves and a common cause is lack of calcium. Well we own two leopard geckos and have a truck load of calcium supplement for them and I am wondering if it would be safe to use on the plants. I would assume that if its safe for the geckos it should be safe for the plants but I could be wrong.

it is most likely calcium carbonate and not instantly ready for plant consumption, just like egg shells, it won't harm your plants. i use egg shells in my soil, my wife bought calcium tablets that expired years ago, i crushed them up as well and toss it in the soil but the expectation that any calcium uptake by my plants would be months from the time of adding. same situation with TUMS brand or in my case, the cheapest generic on the market. you could even use chalk. i don't think i would do dry cement - but you could. if you have a pet bird and have cuttlebone....crush 'er up.

calcuim nitrate is the baby you want.

Back