• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Using xanthan gum

Here is another item that may be of some use in the pepper sauce homebrew:

I would think that after straining a batch of homemade hot sauce to get rid of the seeds and pulp, you may have a rather thin mixture that just might separate after standing.

Well, I have read that a little xanthan gum can be mixed in with a little warm water and then added to the finished sauce prior to bottling.

This will give the sauce a slighter thicker consistency and keep it from separating ... in fact, I have read xanthan gum is one of the ingredients in some bottled hot sauce you buy in the grocery store.

It is not supposed to change the flavor of what ever it's added to at all ... and you use very little of it.

Healthy? http://www.livestrong.com/article/492796-is-xanthan-gum-healthy/

"Xanthan gum is a thickening agent used in many foods, medications and cosmetic products. Produced by fermenting simple sugar with bacteria, xanthan gum has strong binding properties, which makes it an effective choice as an emulsifying agent. It also is naturally gluten-free".

RocketMan said:
and it can be a PIA to use too. Very to wind up with a lumpy mess if your not careful.

I was just gonna say that I've been curious how much is needed per bottle/batch, since knowing my luck, I'd probably end up with just such a lumpy mess...

Xanthan is used in ALLL kinds of food products... salad dressings, ice cream, gluten-free baked goods...(just to name a few).  There are many varieties of gum thickeners including carrageenan (from seaweed), guar, agar agar, and xanthan. 

Some people get their panties in a wad about xanthan because some manufacturers use sugar derived from corn (that ever evil KingCorn stuff) in their process.  Other manufacturers are using whey, the by-product of cheese making, which would otherwise be thrown out.  From what I understand, there are many different base ingredients that can be used.  I've tried to find out from my suppliers what or where mine comes from, but have not had any luck getting any responses.  No one wants to spend that kind of time tracing back one batch, and there's no guarantee the next batch would be the same. 

Start with about 1/2 tsp per 2 cups of water-consistency liquid.  If the sauce is already some-what thick, adjust the xanthan back accordingly.

Xanthan- pronounced "Zan-than"  (not "ex-an-thum" ... San-thum...Zan-thum...or  [for those who really can't pronounce it] "that gum stuff" :lol: )

Will xantham gum make the sauce more jam-like? My sauces has a quite thick consistency, but a more "natural" feel than for example ketchup. When i pour my sauce, it behaves more like a fresh smoothie (or a half melted strawberry daiquiri ;D) than any of that. I'm thinking about using xantham gum to be able to make the sauce less concentrated but with a viscosity that I like. Will it change that much? I'm not looking for a ketchup or jam viscosity. I believe carrots are the biggest factor for the consistency if my sauce right now. I'll experiment a bit in my next batch :)

Philip ... Ever try some of that cheap hot sauce you buy in a bottle.

Tabasco is kinda watery, but certain brands of that cheap hot sauce seems to be just a little thicker ... I think they use xantham gum to slightly thicken it. It also keeps the sauce from separating if it stands in the bottle a long time. 

I think the trick to using this stuff is too add very little of it to a small amount of warm water while stirring consistently. Then you will get what looks like a slightly thick 'gooey' clear water (with no lumps). Then this gooey clear water is added to the prepared pepper sauce while stirring constantly.

It just slightly gives the sauce a thicker texture (if needed), and a "shine" ... and keeps it from separating over time.

Of course, you don't need much since your not making gravy ... some homemade hot sauces may not need any at all.

Philip, are you trying to lessen the flavor or heat intensity while keeping the same consistency?

Sorry to be nitpicky, but it's xanthan.  Xanthan can be found in many health food stores as it's frequently used in gluten-free baking.  Bob's Red Mill also carries it.  I'm sure there are a ton of other places online to find it.  Experiment with a 1/2 tsp and a cup of water to figure out how it works. 

The Boss just posted this info-

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/39383-natural-gums-info/

It's an emulsifier and a thickener. You use it so your sauce doesn't separate and look unappealing. It does thicken though, that's why you use just a tad to emulsify. But if you just want your sauce thicker, I wouldn't use it. Many ways to do that with your ingredients. So, if you want to emulsify and also it could be a tad thicker, sure. But just to thicken, hmm. Other ways. Like more peppers! :)

I work for  B&G  foods and these are a few  (first 4 actually) of the sauces we make and I know for sure we use the Xanthan gum in them, I just dont know what type a ratio's are used. I know they are always taking viscosity test's and the need to be within certain specs to pass. The batch controler's add water, mash and all other ingredients by weight to 1000 gal or so mixing tank's where they get mixed and then run thru a comtrol unit for consistancy before going to the sauce holding tanks.

Back