• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

very specific cloning question. prizes will be awarded.

so i dont know if it was the weather or what (got really cold the last few days) but all the clone attempts save for one have died  :(    but thats nothing new really, this batch just survived a week longer than my previous attempts and maybe this last one will hang on. its raining so I'm not going to go take a picture plus there is nothing that exciting to photograph. ill try again when the weather is warmer or maybe I will try it indoors under lights, although that space is being occupied by my peppers still... I will let you all know what happens

When all else fails, find a local commercial grower that propagates from tissue culture.  See if he/she will help you out.  You can potentially get 100s of plants in single season for a (sometimes) relatively low cost.  I know this might not be the preferred method, but if time is your enemy, it's a really hard method to beat.

solid7 said:
When all else fails, find a local commercial grower that propagates from tissue culture.  See if he/she will help you out.  You can potentially get 100s of plants in single season for a (sometimes) relatively low cost.  I know this might not be the preferred method, but if time is your enemy, it's a really hard method to beat.

never thought of that... thanks!

solid7 said:
When all else fails, find a local commercial grower that propagates from tissue culture. 

Tissue culture guy here, not a good idea.

I've visited a few greenhouses where shrubs are clonally propogated, he'res how you should do it:

1) Numbers. The more cuttings you take, the better your chances of having a few root.
2) Ideal rooting conditions. Cut at the angle, like was shown above. Use a rooting hormone from your local garden store. Keep soil wet CONSTANTLY, try to get a mister if possible.
3) Shade, but still some light. Windowsill might be fine.

Of these, the most important is numbers.  If you can't do at least a 96 well tray I'm not sure if you should do it at all.

Gorizza said:

I've visited a few greenhouses where shrubs are clonally propogated, he'res how you should do it:

1) Numbers. The more cuttings you take, the better your chances of having a few root.
2) Ideal rooting conditions. Cut at the angle, like was shown above. Use a rooting hormone from your local garden store. Keep soil wet CONSTANTLY, try to get a mister if possible.

Of these, the most important is numbers.  If you can't do at least a 96 well tray I'm not sure if you should do it at all.

yes, point taken.  I only said "when all else fails", as it can sometimes be hard to generate enough vegetative stock to produce what can be easily duplicated by methods like tissue culture.
At our nursery, we also propagate extensively from cuttings.  Mainly because it's so damn cheap.

Gorizza said:

ive done all this in the past and severely depleted the number of living plants I had in the ground, im probably just going to give up and let them propagate naturally since that's all they really seem to want to do. this hybrid is just too finicky I guess without going straight science laboratory on it and I'm not going to bother with that. yet...

You can also try this. As mentioned before its a numbers game. I'd say that you should also try as many different methods as possible. Here is the one I'm familiar with

• Squeeze gel from a fresh Aloe cutting into a glass of water and place cutting in water for 48 hours
  • After 48 hours, take another fresh Aloe cutting and dip the cutting in it so that there is max coverage all around it
  • Place into potting medium and water as normal

here are some follow up pics... ive gotten more than enough to make some hot sauce now, and a bunch of wineberries as well.
5722Qeml.jpg

goYB20Im.jpg

Rh4Rqrnl.jpg

Back