• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests What about gassing bugs?

Kind of odd I know, but has anyone ever done this?

Every once in a while I'll get a mild spider mite outbreak. Nothing ever really serious, but usually the plant ends up in really poor shape and I've never really really gotten rid of the bastards completely.

So I got to thinking- why not kill 'em dead with gas? Here's what I'm thinking- take a plant that's ate up with spiders, put it in a super large plastic garbage bag, taping up the opening of the bag, and filling the bag with carbon dioxide. Maybe leave the plant in the bag for a couple hours. Displace the oxygen, kill everything that breathes oxygen quickly, then pull the bag apart. I'd originally thought about using nitrogen, but since I've already got a CO2 tank hooked up to my kegs, and plants eat CO2, I figure this would be better to displace the oxygen.

Am I high, or do you think this would work?

ok- I haven't done this yet, but what I've got planned is to do this with my kegerator CO2 on a test plant, when I get an outbreak.
In the meantime I did go ahead and pop off a Dr. Doom Pyrethrum Fogger out in the greenhouse the day before I started moving plants out there. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and fire off another one in a couple weeks, just to be sure.

Back