• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

What to do with my hab pickles

So, I cut some habs, seeds and all, into rings and pickled em. First couple days I was munching on em and they were pretty good, but the last piece I ate just about blew my head off! Any ideas for recipes that would lend them self to the pickled hab? I think I might try a chili or something Mexican.

Also, what about the vinegar? I'm sure il want to do something with that once I've polished off the Habs :)

blanch some carrot slices real quick and some onion slices and add to it.  Makes a good snack.  I had a dish once with grilled chicken and this with rice and beans.  Very tasty.

Throw some bratwurst in the crockpot. Add some apple juice, sliced onions, mushrooms, and your hab slices. Cook it low and slow. Any leftovers can be added to fried potatoes and eggs in the morning. Yes I'm drinking beer tonight, but this seriously works. Try it.

+1 to Jedi's suggestion.  You can also add some other veggies like thin sliced cauliflower with the carrots onion and garlic(of course!) to make a pickled relish kind of thing.  The pickled relish is great on burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, chopped up in potato salad or any other "salad" like tuna salad, egg salad, tossed salad, throw in the pasta sauce, maybe a bit in the pot roast broth, ......MMMmmmm!

I do a quick boil of kielbasa (to get any fat out and so I can lay it flat) cut it into 1" -1 1/2" pieces and pickle it with hot pepper dujour for about a week - Very tasty IMO

I also pickle Hab rings. Use them on Italian Beef and Sub sandwiches. It's very common here to make a Giardinera with Serrano's but I like the added heat and color of the red and orange Habs.

If your mix is a pickling brine you can use the liquid in a Vodka Martini.
I pressure can my peppers (vinegar/water brine in the jars). Once the caps on the jars are cracked I dump out 1/4 solution and add either Pomace or a good Olive to the jar and place in the fridge...It doesn't last long, but I usually make a case or two of qt jars...for those rainy or snowy days...

Back