• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

flavor What would be your Greatest Hits of pepper flavors?

So I'm not new to hot peppers or growing them but over the last 15ish years I've only been able to grow the most common peppers that I've found locally, like Jalapenos, Orange Habaneros, Reapers, Scotch Bonnets and Fataliis. What I plan on doing is growing a variety of different peppers next year to get an overview of flavors. My question is what would you recommend planting to create like a flight or greatest hits, regardless of heat levels?

I basically have unlimited space but I would like to try and keep it focused to maybe 20 plants or less. Or more if that's just the way it is. Then once I have my bearings I can focus more on the ones I like or can try to cross them to make something. Many thanks in advance!

4iYSIY3m.jpg

Be careful who you buy seeds from on Ebay or Amazon. There are a bunch of reputable seed suppliers listed in this thread: https://thehotpepper.com/threads/seed-suppliers.77439/#post-1781622
Nice. I'm not surprised about ebay, it was definitely my last resort. Thankfully I was able to get all of them from Whitehotpeppers, Superhotchiles aka Refining Fire Chiles and Puckerbutt, except for one. The Tasmanian Black I had to get from Amazon sold by Sherwood Seeds. I think Sherwood is good, I didn't see them on the list but they do have their own site that looks legit with a ton of varities and other types of plants. I'll update the thread there if the Tasmanian turns out well.

Cross-pollination might be interesting, I plan on planting seeds next year from each plant I grow this year and it'll be interesting to see what comes of it. I'm not going to prevent crosses at all. Might get something cool, never know.

Okay so here is the semi-final list:
Atomic Starfish
Chocolate Primotalii
Scotch Bonnet
Tasmanian Black
7 Pot Nebru
Bhut Jolokia (maybe peach?)
Yellow Scotch Brain
Brown jalapeño
bahamian goat
Datil

I still feel like I'm missing something, maybe something green? The hard part is going to be finding all of these, hopefully someone has them all in place but I'm seeing a lot that are out of stock. Might be an Ebay adventure. Anyways thanks again for all the help, I'll definitely update this post on how they're coming along and turn out.

I'd add a slender chili of some kind. Big Thai, Thai Dragon, etc., just personal preference. Chili flakes are always good to have on hand.

Nice. I'm not surprised about ebay, it was definitely my last resort. Thankfully I was able to get all of them from Whitehotpeppers, Superhotchiles aka Refining Fire Chiles and Puckerbutt, except for one. The Tasmanian Black I had to get from Amazon sold by Sherwood Seeds. I think Sherwood is good, I didn't see them on the list but they do have their own site that looks legit with a ton of varities and other types of plants. I'll update the thread there if the Tasmanian turns out well.

Cross-pollination might be interesting, I plan on planting seeds next year from each plant I grow this year and it'll be interesting to see what comes of it. I'm not going to prevent crosses at all. Might get something cool, never know.

Accidental cross pollination is always an adventure. Our bees crossed my Wild Colombians with Trinidad Scorpions and made for a crazy new variety. Share pictures of any new peppers you get!

As for eBay peppers, I've bought a few off eBay and had good luck. I've been about 50/50 from Amazon.

Share pictures of any new peppers you get!

I grew 5 Pequins season before last & one had both up facing & down hanging on one plant. :think:
Last season I grew 2 & one we called Hangy downy pepper & this is it.

Two Mystery peppers in 2 seasons, maybe it's time for a new gene pool LOL.

Look at those fat juicy pods & they taste just like Pequins.

1708774711365.png

Now that's a Pequin, she had a ton of Pods.

1708775133877.png

Hope your germ rates are better than mine from Puckerbutt. I think my seeds got nuked in a hot car sitting in SC somewhere, they "disappeared" for awhile off of USPS tracking right after they were accepted before they left that region. I got a fat goose egg from that cycle.

Last edited:
Hope your germ rates are better than mine from Puckerbutt. I think my seeds got nuked in a hot car sitting in SC somewhere, they "disappeared" for awhile off of USPS tracking right after they were accepted before they left that region. I got a fat goose egg from that cycle.

They were not my first choice if I'm being honest 😂
Hopefully they bear out, the ones I'm really excited about are the Chocolate Primotalii, KSLS, Brown Jalapeno and Yellow Scotch Brain. I'm really wanting to try a smoky flavored pepper and I'm hoping the Brain is going to be like a much hotter scotch bonnet. Actually now that I think about it I might plant some Fatalii's and purposely cross them with a scotch bonnet and see what that produces. I'm sure its been done but I don't know if anything like that has ever been stabilized. Its going to be a good year!

I am surprised with all the comments for bhut jolokia. Maybe the first time I grew them I had some odd seeds cause I hated the flavor. Just seemed like a burnt nothing. On superhot front I will grow Carolina Reaper, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga, Apocalypse Scorpion, Butch "T" Scorpion and usually one or two new each year (this year White Moruga Scorpion) for mix of heat/flavors. Did I miss the Bhut Jolokia bandwagon when that took off? Am I missing something? :)

For me, bhut jolokia has a really nice smell and so-so flavor. I like growing them to spice things up, but straight ghost pepper hot sauce is mid tier taste for me. Maybe that's why everyone likes growing them, for the aroma? I say this with 5 ghost peppers growing at the moment...

Back