• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

What's going on with my TS plants?

Mine do have the brown spots/bronzing on the undersides... ugh! I think some friendly lacewings came along and took care of them though. I can't find any evidence the mites are still there.

What do I do? Should I prune all the damaged leaves and distorted growth?
The mites are so small you would need a 30X magnifier or more to see them.....Cut the plants back to the first healthy leaves

I've just been using neem oil. I ordered a 1 gallon sprayer which should arrive either today or tomorrow. I have 5M extract. I don't want to over-do the neem oil. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll hit them hard with the neem/extract/soap combo. It seems like an insanely hard battle to truly win. From what I understand they're pretty much impervious to most forms of treatment while in the egg stage so it has to be done often. There are so many misc. plants around my pepper plants. It's virtually impossible to get the undersides of all of the leaves of all of the plants.

If even a few of them survive on either the pepper plants or the surrounding plants they'll be back. The new growth I'm getting after pruning is abnormal. I don't even know if it's because the neem oil isn't working or if it's due to the residual toxins from the mites' saliva.

What happens come winter? Will any fall survivors come back in the spring?

I've just been using neem oil. I ordered a 1 gallon sprayer which should arrive either today or tomorrow. I have 5M extract. I don't want to over-do the neem oil. Either tonight or tomorrow I'll hit them hard with the neem/extract/soap combo. It seems like an insanely hard battle to truly win. From what I understand they're pretty much impervious to most forms of treatment while in the egg stage so it has to be done often. There are so many misc. plants around my pepper plants. It's virtually impossible to get the undersides of all of the leaves of all of the plants.

If even a few of them survive on either the pepper plants or the surrounding plants they'll be back. The new growth I'm getting after pruning is abnormal. I don't even know if it's because the neem oil isn't working or if it's due to the residual toxins from the mites' saliva.

What happens come winter? Will any fall survivors come back in the spring?

The toxins seem to last a long time, I just ordered some Cedar Oil, apparently it is more effective than Neem oil and can last up to 30 days, they also claim it kills the eggs as well as the adults, pricy but 1 quart makes up to 320 gallons and I wouldn't have to use pepper juice in my mix anymore, less prep time. It also can be used indoors as well as out. You can mist your animals and yourself for insect repellent, I can't wait to try it.http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html http://www.cedarcidestore.com/cedarproducts.html

So far Neoseiulus californicus predator mites are appearing to be a successful form of broad mite control on this end. Released first lot two or three weeks ago now and so far haven't observed any new broad mite damage on any of my plants! :dance:

Not holding my breath at this point though. Feels like the calm before the storm. :scared: (Let's hope I'm wrong!) I'm guessing after they run out of broad mitely goodness to feast on here, they will either move on or die on me. Apparently they can survive on pollen as an alternate food source for a short period of time but will not really reproduce if that's all they have.

It is suggested to make a few releases a couple weeks apart of each other. Right now I am going to hold off, but first sign of broad mite reinfestation and I will be on to another release of Californicus as quick as sticks!

Back