• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What's the best way to fert my plants?

Okay, so I'm really a newbie grower, and I had my first harvest from 3 plants.

However, after having that first harvest, my plants are now giving off just ridiculously small fruit.. and I'm pretty sure its because they lack nutrition from the soil in the paint bucket containers I grew them in. Where I live there is no fluctuation in seasons, so I'm pretty sure these things should be pumping out fruit all year long.

I really didn't do anything other than water the plants, but now they just look pathetic. I really wasn't expecting I'd get this far in terms of plant survival, so plant nutrition isn't exactly something I'd planned for.

I was wondering, is there any quick and easy way to deliver some much-needed nutrition to my plants? I know this sort of thing can be easily overdone as well, and if I place too much of whatever I could end up killing them instead of feeding them..

I don't really know how to fertilize them. I'm currently living on an animal farm, and have easy access to fresh cow manure, goat manure etc.. but since I also live in the 3rd world, I can't just order stuff off of eBay or have it delivered in the mail as how it generally works in other countries.

What should I do and how do I do it?

manure, chicken, goat, cow/horse is all good. Make sure it's sat and cooked for a while.
crushed limestone if you have any.

No rabbits?
Their manure won't burn the plants when fresh, otherwise you gotta go find some old horse and or cow manure.
Chicken manure needs to sit at least 6 months.
Never tried goat manure.

I've used Miracle Grow when I need to perk them up.  It is a short term solution, but it will show you if the issue is lack of nutrients.

Yes, your problem could be nutrient exhaustion, but before you start throwing fertilizer into the cans, first investigate the soil that's already in them.  If you're using dirt from the ground, then it compacts over time until it holds too much water and too little oxygen.  Many of the roots suffocate, seriously limiting the plant's ability to feed itself and its fruit.  If that's the problem - and I'd bet 5 Laotian zlotys (or whatever you use over there) that it is - then fertilizer will do little or nothing.

Is it possible to pop one of the root balls out of its container to examine the roots?  There should be nice white rootlets all over the outside of the ball.  Few roots at the bottom and/or generally brownish roots indicate a problem. 

For the next batch, try building a container mix.  Do you have access to peat or sphagnum moss?  Rice husks?  Sand?  Composted manure is great up to a point.  I'm not an expert on soil mixes, so take my suggestions with a grain of rice and do some research.

Good luck!

DMF gives some good advice.

Many of the others make clear they barely read your post.

Happy Frog in SE Asia?.....

Well aged manure (fresh contains too much urine re:nitrogen, potentially burning plants) can be made into a nutrient slurry. Goat manure is considered cool but if saturated with urine may pose an issue. There are many recipies online for manure slurry tea, anywhere from 1:3 to 1:10 parts manure:water. Regardless of what ratio you choose, when you mix the slurry with fresh water it should look like a weak cup of tea (a general rule of thumb). I tend to lean toward caution when trying out something new. If in doubt, weaken the final solution.

Poke around your area for a gardening/agricultural store, they're fairly ubiquitous anywhere plants are grown.

Reactions: DMF
I have tried many organic and what not ferts and after playing around for the past 5 years in both soil and hydro, I have decided to just stick with something simple.

I just mix up about 1000ppms of Floranova grow or bloom (depending on growth cycle) and call it a day. The Floranova's may or may not be the best out there, but I check the ph each time and it is always spot on without having to adjust. I do not go by tbsp per gallon or whatever it says on the bottle, I just use my EC meter and do anything from 700-1200 ppm depending on the plants needs. And the plants seem to love it...

This is the EC meter I use.
http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TDS-EZ-Measurement-Resolution/dp/B002C0A7ZY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445893148&sr=8-2&keywords=ec+meter

With school, work, and a 1 year old, I need to keep things simple, and this works for me.

Here is a link for the floranova set I use. I grow medical stuff indoors all winter and peppers all summer and these two bottle last me approximately one year.
http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-FloraNova-Bloom-Quart/dp/B0031FFFEW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1445893263&sr=8-2&keywords=floranova

PS: If you just potted a new plant with new soil, you may want to hold off at least a month before fertilizing, unless you are like me and mix your own soil and just know when to start. If you have a lot of new soil and you add fert, you will likely burn the plants.

Good luck! 

mrgg

HAHA, I did, all but that last line! 

LOL. 

Sorry, please disregard my post for this specific thread.

Damn, I  am all types of messed up today. Oh well. 

I was trying to help a brotha out while I was loading some forms :)

Good luck all! Time to go home (from work)!

Hmmm a search on remington1612 keeps turning up references to Ruger Mini-14 and friends. 

Why do I keep having visions of Apocalypse Now mercs growing veggies out behind the temple?

A few things you can do / use.

Manure
Wood ash from a fire
Vegetable scraps (either compost them or even just throw them straight on the garden)
Fish/shellfish scraps (be careful if you have dogs, you don't want them digging up your plants trying to get the fish)
Seaweed (no idea how close to the sea you are)
Scrape up "loose dark soil" (humus) from underneath piles of leaves etc

Back