• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum What's the consensus on Sugar Rush Peach?

Over the years, I've tried a few C. baccatum but keep falling back on the old C. chinense favorites, as well as a few C. annuums for variety. I've never quite caught the spark for C. baccatums despite trying a few over the years. There is a little variation in feedback on Sugar Rush Peach, although it mostly seems to be very positive. What's the consensus from the experienced growers on this type? Is it all that it's hyped up to be in the seed catalogs?

I like the Sugar Rush Peach. Good flavor and the plants are productive. However, the heat levels seemed to vary quite a bit on the ones I have grown.

Does it live up to the hype? Well, I suppose that would be a matter of opinion. I think it is a good pepper and well worth growing if you have never had the chance to try it before. But there are other baccatum varieties that I personally prefer over SRP, such as Brazilian Starfish, Aji Fantasy Orange, and Aji Rainforest, to name a few.

I loved the flavour and heat of the ones I grew a few years back, but, unlike what others here have said, mine weren't particularly productive. Maybe it was just environmental or something because most of my other plants produced.

Thanks for your help folks! I suppose (like so many other pepper types) that it's worth just growing and seeing how it does in my yard! @BlackFatalii I've never tried those Aji types-what makes them stand out above the sugar rush peach? I know that most baccatums have that soapy taste, do these types have a different flavor?

my thoughts on it are the exact same as @Bou

and the large pod size compared to many other baccatum makes it a worthy and useful cooking pepper to stand in place of or in addition to jalapeno for those with a lower tolerance for heat.

Last edited:
@BlackFatalii[/USER] I've never tried those Aji types-what makes them stand out above the sugar rush peach? I know that most baccatums have that soapy taste, do these types have a different flavor?

I prefer the flavor of the three I named over the flavor of the SRP. Just my personal preference. To me, the SRP had a pleasant sweetness with a hint of floral in some of the pods (it reminded me a little of rosewater), but the floral aspect disappeared pretty quickly. Heat levels on the pods I grew seemed to vary wildly from almost none at all to pretty darn spicy, but that was a few years ago. Perhaps the heat levels have stabilized more since then, I don't know.

Brazilian Starfish has an interesting pod shape and is a big productive plant. The pods are very sweet and sometimes I also detect a berry-like flavor. Yes, occasionally there is also an initial floral/soapy undertone. But the floral (when it is present at all) usually dissipates quickly, leaving just the good flavors. Heat on these is around Serrano level. It is one of my favorite peppers for eating fresh off the plant.

Aji Fantasy Orange is one I grew for the first time last season. It had a nice citrusy undertone that I liked. It was less sweet than the Starfish, and had only a very slight soapy/floral that went away quickly. These were even less floral than the Starfish peppers. They seemed to be around Cayenne level heat to me.

The Aji Rainforest peppers that I grew had a sweet flavor similar to Brazilian Starfish but with more rounded to pear-shaped pods growing on relatively more compact plants (Starfish plants can get pretty tall and big). There was also a floral undertone with these, but it was fairly subdued and was more flowery than perfumy in character, if that makes sense. These also seemed a bit warmer than the Starfish to me. The ones I grew seemed to be a little below Cayenne heat level.

I prefer the flavor of the three I named over the flavor of the SRP. Just my personal preference. To me, the SRP had a pleasant sweetness with a hint of floral in some of the pods (it reminded me a little of rosewater), but the floral aspect disappeared pretty quickly. Heat levels on the pods I grew seemed to vary wildly from almost none at all to pretty darn spicy, but that was a few years ago. Perhaps the heat levels have stabilized more since then, I don't know.

Brazilian Starfish has an interesting pod shape and is a big productive plant. The pods are very sweet and sometimes I also detect a berry-like flavor. Yes, occasionally there is also an initial floral/soapy undertone. But the floral (when it is present at all) usually dissipates quickly, leaving just the good flavors. Heat on these is around Serrano level. It is one of my favorite peppers for eating fresh off the plant.

Aji Fantasy Orange is one I grew for the first time last season. It had a nice citrusy undertone that I liked. It was less sweet than the Starfish, and had only a very slight soapy/floral that went away quickly. These were even less floral than the Starfish peppers. They seemed to be around Cayenne level heat to me.

The Aji Rainforest peppers that I grew had a sweet flavor similar to Brazilian Starfish but with more rounded to pear-shaped pods growing on relatively more compact plants (Starfish plants can get pretty tall and big). There was also a floral undertone with these, but it was fairly subdued and was more flowery than perfumy in character, if that makes sense. These also seemed a bit warmer than the Starfish to me. The ones I grew seemed to be a little below Cayenne heat level.

Thank you for the info! Looks like next year I need to try a few more baccatums!

The Aji Rainforest peppers that I grew had a sweet flavor similar to Brazilian Starfish but with more rounded to pear-shaped pods growing on relatively more compact plants (Starfish plants can get pretty tall and big). There was also a floral undertone with these, but it was fairly subdued and was more flowery than perfumy in character, if that makes.

I have not grown the Sugar rush peach yet, however it's interesting you mention the three peppers you did, as I am growing all three this season.
They sounded really good for flavor & looks.

Back