• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What's wrong with my bhut? (photo)

The bhut pics i've seen have a bumpy surface.  Mine have a smooth surface, and they're not particularly large either.  I've had so many damned crosses my first season, I'm ready to throw out a lot of my seeds, and start new.

Sorry, Jim, but it doesn`t look like a bhut to me. 

This isn`t your run of the mill Bhut, as it`s the Indian carbon or Assam Bhut, but it gives you an idea of what they should look like. This one was from Smileyguy697. The ones I have on my plants look the same, but aren`t ripe yet.

I hear you on the crosses or unexpected peppers....  I have found it easier to ask myself if I like the plant, and if the peppers taste good.  

I have about 8 plants that did not come out true.  One type is surprisingly good, 2 are decent, 2 are wrong type of plant and one is the worst pepper I have ever tasted... It would guess its some sort of baccatum annum cross, it looks like a banana pepper, but has a slightly baccatum flavor and flowers like one.  It tasted like dust/mud, had a funky bitter aftertaste, and no heat, I am waiting to taste one that is ripe still, and had to really fight the urge to pull that POS out. :evil:

I know I am trying to keep stuff straight and pure, but I kind of stepped back and thought about why I started growing peppers and that helped.  

I do it to relax, have fun, and get some good tasting peppers.  I label my stuff fairly accurately, and separate my seeds by type and by year so hopefully I can go back if things go wrong on something. 

Good Luck and Have Fun!

I have almost 90 bhut plants in soil, every seed came from one plant I grew hydroponically, the original plant grows smooth skin only, the ones in soil grow crazy big, and gnarly bumps, but even then I can run across a few slick and shiny pods, I have 3 red bhut plants that produce red and yellow on the same plant, even a few orange

but they all are hot and taste great

BadPants said:

I hear you on the crosses or unexpected peppers....  I have found it easier to ask myself if I like the plant, and if the peppers taste good.  

I have about 8 plants that did not come out true.  One type is surprisingly good, 2 are decent, 2 are wrong type of plant and one is the worst pepper I have ever tasted... It would guess its some sort of baccatum annum cross, it looks like a banana pepper, but has a slightly baccatum flavor and flowers like one.  It tasted like dust/mud, had a funky bitter aftertaste, and no heat, I am waiting to taste one that is ripe still, and had to really fight the urge to pull that POS out. :evil:

I know I am trying to keep stuff straight and pure, but I kind of stepped back and thought about why I started growing peppers and that helped.  

I do it to relax, have fun, and get some good tasting peppers.  I label my stuff fairly accurately, and separate my seeds by type and by year so hopefully I can go back if things go wrong on something. 

Good Luck and Have Fun!

I agree, but I like to have a reasonable expectation that what I'm growing is going to turn out true.  All my crosses have been chinenses.  My bhut in the photo almost looks like a fatalii-cross.  The pod next to it on the plant looks the same.  Some seed were purchased from reputable dealers who are members here, others were freebies from the Forum Ads.  Oh well... 

I'm probably going to keep one of my other unidentified crosses because it has been so prolific, i.e., about 30 pods so far, and still producing.  I'll test it in a sauce.

Isolating plants to generate good seed is difficult to do, although there are a few who try really hard to do it. I live on 1.5 acres, so I can physically separate plants as well as use a paintbrush to pollinate them. That still isn`t quite enough to isolate them properly. Most can`t even do that. If I get seeds from friends marked as OP, I know what I`m getting - something that will probably grow true, but there`s a chance it won`t. Getting seeds from seed sellers like that isn`t quite so much fun. 

Jim, I`ll have OP Indian carbon seeds if you want to try them. I have not tried to isolate that specific strain, though. 

Perhaps I should try.

I was not trying to say you should not be frustrated....  

I just was saying how I am dealing with it.  I had hoped to have this be a great breakout year for my gardening/peppers.  I had some set backs early on, and have learned a ton, and hope that next year will be better.  I just found it helpful to step back and kind of count my blessings as I was making it more of a negative experience then it needed to be.

I failed on multiple types of scotch bonnets, and bhuts this year.  I did terrible on the germination of 3 types of bhuts...  Not sure why I am guessing it was the seeds, combined with my lack of knowledge.   My 2 types of scotch bonnets are not scotch bonnets... On the other side of the coin I had a picture perfect versions of Brain Strains and Butch T, that I had little hope for going into the season.

I have started spending less and less on seeds in last few years, and that has helped.  I feel less cheated when stuff comes out wrong.  Its still money/time down the drain but I can tell myself at least it was free.  I am trying to look at it more as an experience with hoped for results...  Kind of like fishing I do it to be outside, relax and have fun.  

I do have one tiny supposed Peach Bhut, that was my runt of the litter and is going to become a potted plant this winter.  Hope springs eternal so to speak. 

pepperdan said:
I have almost 90 bhut plants in soil, every seed came from one plant I grew hydroponically, the original plant grows smooth skin only, the ones in soil grow crazy big, and gnarly bumps, but even then I can run across a few slick and shiny pods, I have 3 red bhut plants that produce red and yellow on the same plant, even a few orange

but they all are hot and taste great
Now that's odd, regarding the mother plant pods.
newpeppergrower1105 said:
is it a yellow ghost?
It was supposed to be.
Nigel said:
Isolating plants to generate good seed is difficult to do, although there are a few who try really hard to do it. I live on 1.5 acres, so I can physically separate plants as well as use a paintbrush to pollinate them. That still isn`t quite enough to isolate them properly. Most can`t even do that. If I get seeds from friends marked as OP, I know what I`m getting - something that will probably grow true, but there`s a chance it won`t. Getting seeds from seed sellers like that isn`t quite so much fun. 

Jim, I`ll have OP Indian carbon seeds if you want to try them. I have not tried to isolate that specific strain, though. 
Perhaps I should try.
Thanks, but I've already got some.

I just went and picked these for this discussion

photo_zpsa8fcf490.jpg

the 2 on the left are from my 2 year old hydroponic plant, frankly they are huge compared to when its indoors, the 2 on the right are from the seeds from this very plant

try this one on for size, also from the same hydro plant seeds

http://s12.photobucket.com/user/1911a1fan/media/IMG_1756_zps66b0975c.mp4.html

Back