• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When do you start fertilizing?

When do you start giving them fertilizer? I'm thinking mine are too small yet, but once in final pot I might add some. I'm growing in normal soil, no high tech stuff here. =)

I never actually used fertilizing on my chili plants, so any tips are welcome.

I start foliar feeding mine when they strat getting true leaves with 1/2 solution tomato fertilizer and 1 tsp of epsom salt per 32 oz of water.
Then after about a month I start watering with full strength fert about once every two weeks.

Here are some of my yellow scotch bonnets about 1 month old that have been foliar fed twice and are just about hardened off.

IMG_1581.jpg

I try to wait until I have 2 sets of true leaves going then I give them somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 strength fertilizer. I have been using Jack's Classic 20-20-20 and it seems to be working, I have some good size plants for as young as they are. My Peter peppers are about 2 months old and they are about 7" tall already!!!

I fertilize, then water, then ferilize then water. Just alternate back and forth on feeding/watering and you should be fine. I wait until the top of the soil is dry and the dirt is pulling away from the edges of the solo beer cups I have almost everything growing in.

Very true Matt,

I find the early stages of growing hot peppers to be the easiest. Problems for me last time becan after a few months but I'm pretty sure most of it was due to pests.

I have learned alot since joining the forum last september. Before I was just planting seeds out in the garden and hoping for the best.

I give mine a weak solution of Alaska Fish fertilizer after they have stabilized in cups. The Pro-Mix BX I use for seed starting already has some starter nutes, so they stay quite happy in that for a while. I then give them a little more when they get upsized to 1 gallon pots - usually Tomato Tone. Then they get a single shot of Osmocote when they're in the final 5 gallon home. The Osmocote keeps them happy all year.

I start when they have 4+ leaf nodes, or about 3+ inches tall. I also give them a tiny pinch of epsom salt then too.

Back