• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

When is a Bhut Jolokia Ripe?

i have one Bhut Jolokia plant that has a few pods on that are starting to colour.
right now they are a bright orange.
im wondering if they will go red or darker orange or what.
im looking for the right time to harvest the pod for maximum heat and flavour and also the best way to store it
until i use it in two weeks.

Cheers Kevvy

My Bhuts turned a really bright red when they ripened. Some people think unripe peppers are hotter than ripe ones, but I think it is a misconception, and the more ripe the pepper, the hotter it is. As far as storage goes, I dry mine with a dehydrator, but a friend of mine tried air drying, but it took an extra long time due to the large amount of pepper oils. He had some hanging over a heat vent for at least a week, probably longer.

orange is a color on the way to red ripe

My Bhuts turned a really bright red when they ripened. Some people think unripe peppers are hotter than ripe ones, but I think it is a misconception, and the more ripe the pepper, the hotter it is. As far as storage goes, I dry mine with a dehydrator, but a friend of mine tried air drying, but it took an extra long time due to the large amount of pepper oils. He had some hanging over a heat vent for at least a week, probably longer.

Actually peppers max capsaicin production is right before they ripen. They begin to produce less capsaicin the riper they get. Friend AJ found a link to some scientific types who did the testing. I'll see if I can locate it.

Good question! I have also kinda wondered this myself with my bhuts. I sometimes thought that I might have been picking the early but was never sure. I had left some on to see if they would keep changing but never seems to. So are there 3 or 4 color phases? Mine have gone from green to light orange to orange-red or is it green -> light orange -> orange-red -> red?

Actually peppers max capsaicin production is right before they ripen. They begin to produce less capsaicin the riper they get. Friend AJ found a link to some scientific types who did the testing. I'll see if I can locate it.

Even if capsaicin production decreases after the pepper is ripe, it's not like all the capsaicin already produced really went anywhere. So I stick by my original statement. The more ripe the pepper gets, the hotter it is.

Let them ripen red. I agree with Patrick on the heat, that peaks just before the fully ripened stage. I like the dark red pods, more of a "juicy flavor" and less bitter. Take the Jalapeno M for instance, that becomes pungent prior to turning red. But if you guys like the "poppers" try the red version of those.....they're incredible!

Greg

I went to the source of the original link that was posted showing the research done that said capsaicin production was highest before the pepper became fully ripe. He wasn't able to locate the original link but found another link that confirmed what Bloodflow is saying. Both can be right, capsaicin production could be highest prior to the pepper becoming fully ripe and capsaicin content could be highest at full ripeness. Thanks for the effort AJ.

Mi mate , can you just freeze then straight of the plant then use when you need them or do you have to dehydrate them first. this is my first season were my plants havnt been stolen and i have pods, i want to try making some sauce and was going to freeze them till i needed them , whats the best way of storing them.? Cheers.

Mi mate , can you just freeze then straight of the plant then use when you need them or do you have to dehydrate them first. this is my first season were my plants havnt been stolen and i have pods, i want to try making some sauce and was going to freeze them till i needed them , whats the best way of storing them.? Cheers.

I have never tried it, but I did a search, and from what I found,you should have no problems.

After ripening, pods will noticeably start losing their heat. I always like to pick pods just before ripening so they have their full heat and are still firm enough to have some shelf life. Freezing pods works great if you're not worried about the pod texture

Back