• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

When to apply calcium...

Nice post LGHT. For those of us that don't have a grams scale 5.32 grams is about 1.5 teaspoons CaCl2. For a 1 gallon solution it is 1 tsp.

+1 Nice one; it's always good to post equivalents for various amounts. PPM= ?grams, ?tbsp., ?tsp., ?ml, etc. ;)

AjarnV I'm using the post to answer your question about using egg shells twice, yes you can I poured out the vinegar strained put shells back into jar filled with fresh vinegar all kind of good action did it this morning.

AjarnV I'm using the post to answer your question about using egg shells twice, yes you can I poured out the vinegar strained put shells back into jar filled with fresh vinegar all kind of good action did it this morning.

That's good to hear; I would think as long as the shells are there, there is calcium. Aren't they 90+% calcium?

At this point I'm making 80% of the nutrients I use. I like the idea of home made; it's sustainable and always available. ;)

Thats an awesome post LGHT! Thanks for all the info.

Just curious though, out where I work, the water is contains a helluvva lotta calcium (the water urns calcify to point of not working within a couple of weeks), do you think that would be a good source of calcium or not? People use it on they're chillies out there and doesn't seem to make much difference (compared to what I don't know, coz it's the only water source out there)in leaf size/width or over all well being of the plants.

I personally wouldn't use it for my plants, mainly because anywhere close to LA and surrounding areas has horrible water. The problem is yeah it might contain calcium, but what else does it contain? I've received a water report for my area and although I never drink tap water I was shocked as to the amount chemicals and various poisins they add to the water. Some of the water is even "reclaimed". I basically use a 3 stage micron filter to add water to my fish tank and THEN I treat the tank to remove extra stuff like amonia etc. I monitor the PH hardness of the tank so when I need to water my plants I syphon out 5 gallons at a time and use that water to foiler feed and water the soil. I know it may be splitting hairs, but I have to keep removing and adding water for my fish so why let it go to waste. If you don't keep fish I would suggest getting a small filter and at least treat 5 gallons at a time for you plants.

Is calcium chloride a good way to deliver calcium to the plant? I want to mix it in water for a foliar spray, but not sure of what concentration to use. I don't want to use egg shells, nobody here eats eggs. I have pelletized lime but not sure how much to use, and it's too late to work it into the soil. The only way I can think of is to add some in a pile at the base of the plant but I don't know how much to use. Seems like it would take a long time to dissolve. Anyone have some advice on this?

Just a comment on the above is that Cl- (chloride) is a beneficial nutrient it is also one that you want to be careful in using as too much is not good for the plant, whereas Ca2+ is essential for all stages of the plants life cycle and is needed in fairly large quantities. CaCl[sub]2[/sub] has an advantage over calcitic lime or dolomitic lime in terms of solubility but that, in my humble opinion, doesn't outweigh the Cl- downside. An alternative to CaCl[sub]2[/sub] is gypsum (Ca(SO4)2) which I would use if I have a Ca deficiency, otherwise I would use finely ground (not peletized) calcitic lime with Ca(CO3)2 equivalent of at least 95%.

themedicinalpepper.com

Question about calcium.....

would anyone know if the calcium in from a well be enough for a plant's needs? coz we have a deep well with an electric motor, a hundred meters deep, and the water calcifies quite a bit. I noticed that coz of our faucets and whatever else builds up a good deal of white colored sediments. i don't think it's polluted or anything..... so i guess it's safe, we've been watering our yard with it for over a decade so i guess they'll be ok.

The only way to know for sure what is in the water is to do a water analysis. Although it may have a lot of calcium in it what else does it have in it? I'm sure the plants will grow and bare fruit, but if you don't know what is in the water it may or may not stunt the plant. I use my fish tank water only because I can and if I didn't the water would be wasted anyway and it gives the plants a huge beneficial bacteria boost at the same time.

alright. thanks.

i used to use fish tank water for the yard myself. back when i used to keep fish. i might again just for that purpose.

guess i'll just find out. lol.

if not there's always other sources for calcium like what's posted here.

Back