• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

seeds When to move seedling to bubble bucket?

Long-time soil grower, first-time hydro grower (hopefully!):

I started seeds in rockwool cubes. My first one has popped. How big should I let it get before I start up the hydroponic system? I have a one-bucket bubbler. The bucket has a basket in the top. My understanding is that I put that, the rockwool cube, and some rocks (I have some sort of lava rock thing that the hydroponic shop owner told me to use). ANY help would be sa-weet.

You can put them in right away. Course you'll have to fill the bucket to the appropriate level to keep the roots wet/in contact with the oxygenated water. You can always hold off and wait for the root system to further develop if you're a bit unsure.

I germinate seeds in rockwool in the bucket, no need to wait until they sprout to put them in the bucket/blubber if you don't want too. May have to do some top watering until they sprout depending on how close your water level is to the basket / how many bubbles you have.

Thanks for the input... the roots haven't come through the bottom of the cube yet. I can definitely water the cube while it's in the bucket, though.

i usually wait until i see the roots start peering out of the rockwool and by that time they should have established their 2 leaves. i moved some into my 2nd dwc and they don't appear to be growing much.

i was reading a hydroponic book at the library last friday and it gave me some new ideas to try. while still in the germination station lay the plants in rockwool on their sides, in a small dish containing water or light nutrients to encourage new root growth outward. i haven't tried that yet.

but lots of hydroponic users just put the seedlings in as soon as they sprout, but again from my experience the plants don't seem to take off until longer tap roots are in the water.

good luck

Back