• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

overwintering Winter-Summer in OZ "Comparison" / Aussie Blabberers

Who will win?

• A muppet

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • A muppet

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • A muppet

Votes: 23 39.7%

• Total voters
Ok I've kept Gas waiting long enough. :lol: Time to test some Chillies!

20130110_123745_zpsaaa92753.jpg

20130110_124136_zps217754cc.jpg

As you can see there isn't all that much in the Orange pod. Good thing is, it is still hot. Not as hot as Aji Lemon but not by much. Flavour and smell the orange pod is milder then the Aji. Eating with food you wouldn't taste this chilli at all. Still better then a chilli that tastes like crap.

Shame it's not all that, Jayman, it's a nice looking pod!

Was it grown from the same seed stock as the other Aji Lemon or was it from a different source? I'm still thinking there's a good chance it's a hybridized Aji Lemon... but I guess really can't say for sure.

Are you going to save seeds and grow them out? Who knows what you might end up with!

Yeah might have Possums but would have thought that ther would be more damage to the plants.
I have ruled out neighbours/people. My neighbours have been burnt a few times before and tend to keep away. I have a whipper snipper down the side of my house where my gate is and they would have taken that.
Coming in on 3 seperate occasions just to take a few Chilli sounds too odd for me.

Micca

I'm not all that dissappointed, Heat wise if you called a Aji Lemon an 8/10 the Hybrid would be a 7/10. Yes it is grown from the same seed pack as the other. I do believe it is a Aji Lemon Hybrid, partly because the plant grows just as strong as an Aji lemon and looked the same in every way before the pods started growing.

I will more than likely keep seeds and try grow more, although I know growing hybrids can be a bit hit and miss, and I don't grow too many plants as it is.

Yeah might have Possums but would have thought that ther would be more damage to the plants.
I have ruled out neighbours/people. My neighbours have been burnt a few times before and tend to keep away. I have a whipper snipper down the side of my house where my gate is and they would have taken that.
Coming in on 3 seperate occasions just to take a few Chilli sounds too odd for me.

Micca

Maybe a bird? we get birds that come down and steal our tomatoes, big bloody thing too. I would have thought a Rat would get burnt from eating TS?

Micca

The possums I were dealing with ate both pods and foliage. I'm guessing if there was an abundance of pods, they would probably choose them over the foliage, but I dunno??

How much foliage did you loose to your grasshopper friend? Perhaps he wasn't the sole culprit? Just a stab in the dark.... ;)

I'm not all that dissappointed, Heat wise if you called a Aji Lemon an 8/10 the Hybrid would be a 7/10. Yes it is grown from the same seed pack as the other. I do believe it is a Aji Lemon Hybrid, partly because the plant grows just as strong as an Aji lemon and looked the same in every way before the pods started growing.

I will more than likely keep seeds and try grow more, although I know growing hybrids can be a bit hit and miss, and I don't grow too many plants as it is.

Maybe a bird? we get birds that come down and steal our tomatoes, big bloody thing too. I would have thought a Rat would get burnt from eating TS?

Yeah, I reckon definitely a hybrid then. And yeah, hit and miss for sure. But you never know, might get lucky even if you only grow a plant or two!

Rats and possums both get burned.... but just like us idiots though, still doesn't stop 'em! ;)

I always hear about birds pinching pods but fortunately that's one hassle I've yet to experience! (knock on wood!)

[originally thought birds because they don't have the pain receptors but all the birds I have had take them before usually leave behind a few that have got bite marks in them. It has been nipping them off just above the top of the chilli leaving behind the stem.

Micca

Sounding alot like Possums. I have had a few leaves taken also but just assumed you would see some evidence of them being there.
How do I get rid of Possums, mmmmm maybe a Shotgun Hahaha

Micca

You need to setup some cameras ;) Or put some sort of barrier that a human could easily breach but not an animal. Have you seen anything left behind? If an animal is comfortable sitting and eating the pod there it might leave a bit of pod skin or some seeds, and take a crap whilst its there too. I found some rat poo next to some of my seedlings that had all the leaves stripped.

OK, I'm an idiot..... I just found the source of the mysterious burnage. I have a small baggy of superhot powder sitting on my computer desk here that I keep playing with. There's powder stuck all around the top of the bag. I didn't even realize I've been playing with it until I just rubbed my eye and still had the baggy in my hand!! :rofl:

How do I get rid of Possums, mmmmm maybe a Shotgun Hahaha

Micca

A shotgun would work lol or you could just do what I did and move... ;)

Hey mate, haven't told you yet but your joining us for the Aussie Grow Off next season too..... :D

Definately not moving. Got about 25yrs to pay for my house and a truckload of crap in it.
Oh I am in the comp, well I definately better get that shotgun then!

Hahaha gotta be very careful of those drop bears they are very viscous furry little creatures.

Micca

Been looking for a pot like this....

2238_0.jpg

Reckon that oughta be big enough to stop the roots from cooking?

I been thinking too, screw what I said about strictly pots only before... still has to be a container of some sort but not necessarily a pot... so hell yeah, kegs, baths, toilets,
whatever. Be creative. Just as long as it's not a blatant raised bed or something.....

(and grow bags, coles green bags or whatever if anybody uses 'em)

Definately not moving. Got about 25yrs to pay for my house and a truckload of crap in it.

Shotty it is. :lol:

Those drop bears are the worlds leading cause of death for japanese tourists. Someone should warn them more often and stop the carnage!

Gas that looks like a cauldron for boiling up stuff. Wouldn't it heat up in strong sun?

those hunting cameras look interesting..............

Micca

Been looking for a pot like this....

2238_0.jpg

Reckon that oughta be big enough to stop the roots from cooking?

I been thinking too, screw what I said about strictly pots only before... still has to be a container of some sort but not necessarily a pot... so hell yeah, kegs, baths, toilets,
whatever. Be creative. Just as long as it's not a blatant raised bed or something.....

(and grow bags, coles green bags or whatever if anybody uses 'em)

Shotty it is. :lol:

Now thats a pot!!!!
hate to have to fill it with soil though. Times that by a hundered and you will need stocks in that soil company :surprised:

Micca

Now thats a pot!!!!
hate to have to fill it with soil though. Times that by a hundered and you will need stocks in that soil company :surprised:

Micca

Oh nooo.... I meant just a one off for the grow off. Times that by a hundred and I'd have to own the company. :lol:

I'm over pots. I'm tired of potting up all the time, I'm tired of searching endlessly for even a half decent potting mix and I'm tired of my plants in 'em turning to shit when summer hits! I've got a lot of work to do digging beds and prepping 'em but next season I'm so gonna do most of my growing in the ground.

Gas that looks like a cauldron for boiling up stuff. Wouldn't it heat up in strong sun?

Yeah, true, aye?

Oh nooo.... I meant just a one off for the grow off. Times that by a hundred and I'd have to own the company. :lol:

I'm over pots. I'm tired of potting up all the time, I'm tired of searching endlessly for even a half decent potting mix and I'm tired of my plants in 'em turning to shit when summer hits! I've got a lot of work to do digging beds and prepping 'em but next season I'm so gonna do most of my growing in the ground.

Yeah, true, aye?
you need to go to a landscape supply place and byy premium potting mix , i dont have problems and grow all sorts of things. dont bother with anything in bags.

t

Back