• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

wtf are these?

My buddy picked these up on a recent bike trek in central Florida. They were found in a clump about the size of a small fist. They came apart looking like really glossy red cloves of garlic. They were growing some sort of fungi which appear to be mushrooms. We're not sure if they were born of the plant or came afterward. They did seem to come from them. We tried to get him to eat them and while he's crazy, he's not THAT crazy. So, we're unsure of the toxicity...lol
Does anyone recognize these and know what we should do with them?

Photo0104.jpg

Photo0105.jpg

munchzilla said:
wow they look like sweets, no idea what they are though. do they smell anything?

No. We broke one open and there's no odor. We thought the scent might give us a clue, but they didn't smell like anything.

StoneySauce said:
No. We broke one open and there's no odor. We thought the scent might give us a clue, but they didn't smell like anything.

Were they hollow, or was their flesh like an apple or something? How about the seeds?

have they had any alien sightings down there lately?

Pam said:
Were they hollow, or was their flesh like an apple or something? How about the seeds?

Excellent question. I just busted one open and it had very fleshy skin. It had a big pit/stone. Just one which is the majority of it's center. Almost like a really tiny avacado with less meat. The red skin was sturdy and the meat very soft as if it's purpose was to protect the seed.
I'm definitely going to put this in some soil, but I'd really like to know what to expect.

That's some scary stuff... couldn't find anything on Google (OMFG!!!)... :shocked:
Grow and tell us WTF it is! if it's anything good, share some seeds. :D

Txclosetgrower said:
You should mail one to iggy. He'll either eat it or smoke it.

That's normally my solution to everything. 20 years ago I would have just put it in my bong and told a completely different story. Or perhaps many stories. Unfortunately, those days are over.
Somebody please help me out. WTF are these things?

Txclosetgrower said:
I say take it to someone who knows a lot about plants

I'm usually the one to ask, which is why this one has me so stumped. Then again I'm normally the one who recommends a 1000w HPS and a good submersible pump.

Txclosetgrower said:
...or contact your county extension office:

LMAO...Yea, I'll have a government agency come to inspect my garden.
spew.gif

StoneySauce said:
I'm usually the one to ask, which is why this one has me so stumped. Then again I'm normally the one who recommends a 1000w HPS and a good submersible pump.

LMAO...Yea, I'll have a government agency come to inspect my garden.
spew.gif

Lol no dude, you take it in to them.

and 1000w hps is always good advice ;)

You guys are nutz! not more than me and not in the "Nutterz" kinda way, but still! not in a good way...

Back