• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Growing hot peppers in the news?

I'm a member of another forum called veggie trader,It's kind lame I never got any responce till today.I was contacted by a Reporter from the St. Pete Times,wants to do a story on Me and my strange hobby of growing hot peppers!It kind of threw me for a loop,I'm kind of a low profile guy...Just your basic American Carpenter(well,pretty good at that actually)he,he!
Has anybody had an experience like this before?I'm wondering what the upside and downsides could be...Should I mention this forum?We could get a few more members I guess...I've seen a couple articles in the paper this guy wrote,they were nicely done I guess.The downside would be getting hounded for seeds and such I guess.Any input would be appreciated!
Tony

I say go for it on the mention. Kinda funny to think someone thinkin' growing hot peppers as a hobby is weird though. I thought bell growers were the weird ones.

There does seem to be a bit of interest in the community about peppers.There are a couple events here each year,Lots of Chileheads about...Really packed actually.Only regional growers I've seen here are Allen B.,seems to be some bad blood btw him and this forum(NOMFB)my brother(Ironmatt)New to the forum(just got a healthy plant donation)and some cat from Bradenton with extremely poor taste in NFL teams...HTTR!!!Anyway,I do appreciate all the great contacts and great seed trades I've had throughout the past year(this year should even be better)Regardkless if I do this or not,We do have a pepper show comming up here in Pinellas on June 6,There should be a great turnout,probably several thous.,I was wondering if I could donate a plant to be auctioned off to promote this forum,to give to a chariteble cause of some sort.I know its sort of short notice,but with lots of people there,and I know nobody has this particular variety in this area.I dunno,maybe the Shriners,Lots of Childrens hospitals here,or of course Vetrans...I have spoken briefly with the organmizers,Oh yes,I've met the nice lady from Intensity Acadamy,perhaps she could be of some assistance.She is also local.Anyway,I'd love to have a chance to pay it back...
Yo AJ,Hook me up!

I've had something similar occur in regards to my other hobby, collecting and breeding tarantulas. One of the questions I asked the TV reporter prior to her showing up was what was her intent? If she was going to bash exotic pets I didn't want anything to do with it. Fortunately it turned out to be a very positive thing and it did attract some positive attention to our local club. I say go for it. Might make ya famous.

Patrick,I'd prefer not to be famous!I'm just into gardening,I was raised in an agricultural background.Gardeners share plants.The web makes it easier!I had another hobby,running a small fishing boat,Wherever and whenever I pleased,But costs and whatever else have ended that!It was a very nice run tho!This was a very nice place to fish a center console for the previous 14 years!I can still fish,just have to walk,really not a big issue in this area either!Do a search on Anclote Key,My old stomping grounds...and west of that,I've seen siome beautiful things!Basically,I reaklly don't want to be harrased for seeds and such.I was lucky to get some great seeds at a great time,thats why I have so many nice plants this year.I have done a lot of trades the past year, but I'd basically share the seeds ,as the ones(7 Pods)that I had so much luck with last year were given to me.Funny thing is,most people I offer to send free seeds to send me some sort of seed in return!I'm having a very interesting garden thisa year!By the way this is a newspaper ,garden edition,comes out Sat.No way are they getting my mug or yard on TV!I just thought it was a unique opportunity to promote this forum,All it's nice members,and maybe give something to the community.By the way,the plant would be a pods on Scorpion Morouga.I've had very good germination with this one.I of course need to check with the seed supplier...THP?

Go for it, sounds very fun and why not just hope for that it will might bring some other people to this hobby of ours! only 1 people is enough for the article to be a good cause in that way. I have myself in mind, regarding that of helping people find this hobby, which they might or might not fall for and star loving. Cause growing and loving peppers have helped me and the life I had a lot, like other people that find help in religion, other hobbys, sports or whatever. It doesnt really matter what my life were before, dont want to write too much about it here. Anyway, growing peppers have done a lot for me, and Im greatful that ive found something that gives joy everyday. I dont stress and only think of the last harvestday, everyday is a joy, waking up and looking how the plants have grown is like having christmas when i was a child, only difference it happens everyday :)

i say go for it tony!.....the more people involved in a hobby actually makes things a lot better.......in terms of communications, supplies, seeds, gardening tips etc.......who knows someone may have something absolutely new to us.....

Hey Tony I did something like this with a bunch of other people for our local paper last year. I did plug THP.com and thought I'd get a lot of seed request but didn't. Here is the link; http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2008/sep/17/lowcountry_chileheads_talk_hot_habits/
I am about half way down the page but here is the text;

"I have what you call a chile addiction; food without chiles is bland. I find a way to get my pepper spice into just about every meal from chili powder to the homemade fire-roasted hot sauce I make. This time of year I prefer fresh peppers directly off my plants.

"In the past I grew most of the peppers offered at Lowe's, but now I am part of an online community of chileheads, thehotpepper.com, and now I grow chiles from all around the world. We trade chile seed and help each other become successful chile farmers. I have chiles from India called Bhut Jolokia, which is the world's hottest pepper (well over 1,000,000 Scoville rating), and a chile from the Caribbean called Trinidad Scorpion, which is not far behind. I also have Tabasco, Red Savina, Bishop's Hat, Devil Tongue, Naga Morich, Fatalli, Chocolate Habanero, White Habanero, Jamaican Scotch Bonnett, Datil and the trusty Jalapeno.

"I have probably 60 to 70 plants, and 20-25 varieties. I've been growing them most of my life, seriously for about 10 years.

"I love HOT peppers. I have an online photobucket account to view my backyard pepper garden here.

"It's almost impossible for me to pick my favorite pepper. I have 20 different favorite peppers. Each are unique in their own right. But three at the top my list are the Caribbean red habanero, Satalli, and the Bhut Jolokia.

"I'll take peppers that will fill up my whole grill and fire-roast them and (to make sauce) just put vinegar, salt and sugar, four simple ingredients, including the peppers. It makes an excellent hot sauce. I definitely enjoy the hot sauces. I can it and keep it through the winter. I put hot sauce on ice cream, if you can imagine that. Hot sauce and ice cream is excellent; I love it!"

Cappy

Thanks for all the input folks!I gues the positives outweigh the negatives.I'm just hoping my pepper patch doesn't get robbed!the reporter e-mailed me again today and I sent him a number of links,including this one.I missed that one about cancer dammit!If anybody can think of any must read links for his info on peppers,let me know!Thanks,tony

Fantastic! Happy to hear this. Remember your biggest fans are right here so we'll need to know everything that happens. How do we go about getting a signed copy of the article?

I just knew this was going to be a good day. just knew it.

By all means you can mention THP ;)

Hey I say go for it!

I got approached to do a similar thing, I was found on a forum by a news reported too. It was to do with keeping reptiles though. I didnt do it because im kinda shy but I wish I had!

The auction idea sounds good, for a good cause too.

Back