• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Silver Surfer's 7-24-09 Chili Booty

Harvest is fading fast, only 1 pound and 15 ounces. Even the Datil has slowed
on the ripening. Maybe it's the screwy cooler July weather. Forecast is 94 for
the high tomorrow, but drops back into the 80s again after that.
DSCN0824.jpg

A few more Habs, Datil and my first 2 ripe Fish pods.
DSCN0826.jpg

The Nagas aren't done yet. ;-)
DSCN0827.jpg

The Fataliis ripened a few more than last harvest 3 days ago.
DSCN0828.jpg

You're wondering about the blender?
DSCN0829.jpg

Fill a 12oz Mason jelly jar or regular mouth pint jar with dried chili.
DSCN0833.jpg

Screw the blade assembly onto the jar and you have my new spice grinder. :-)
DSCN0835.jpg

Pulse on the blender a few times and instant chili powder.
DSCN0837.jpg

Now you can replace the Mason lid and store in the fridge or freezer.
I'm a cheap bastid ain't I. :lol:
Dunno if this works with all blenders but it does fine with mine.
Ordered a new blade assy so I don't have to make the blender swapout.
DSCN0838.jpg

It is like the magic bullet! I've seen that done before but long forgot about it. I think you will like the finer powder with the coffee grinder, but that works in a pinch. Your total July harvest was huge SS. Live to burn, burn to live.;)

Katrina said:
I'm speechless!!!!

Katrina speechless? That must be a rarity. :D

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
It is like the magic bullet! I've seen that done before but long forgot about it. I think you will like the finer powder with the coffee grinder, but that works in a pinch. Your total July harvest was huge SS. Live to burn, burn to live.;)

Actually the powder is just as fine as the bladed coffee grinder I was using and I'm satisfied with the performance.
I haven't kept a running total; but yeah, July has been good to me so far.
These last 2 batches will probably be added to my pickled chili pantry.

SumOfMyBits said:
That ghetto Magic Bullet is awesome SS!

Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive; it's a reliable 25+ year old 800 watt Osterizer. :D

Armadillo said:
I like that grinder! And I love your harvest!

Thanks, the harvests are slowing down while the plants grow a new wave of pods.

bigt said:
Nice bounty! Excellent job on the pics and presentation. The effort is always appreciated.

Thanks man, you've renewed my efforts. :)

joeknowsjolokia said:
Powder me green with envy!

Now there's an idea, some green chili powder.

Ya definitely don't want to forget to wash well after grinding some powder. Even though you can't see any on your forearm a swipe of an eye will quickly reveal its very fine dusty presence. :hell:

I was constantly treated with some tasty fresh samples everytime I licked my stache. :)

Your are getting some really nice harvests. Got any updated shots of the plants? They must be doing great. Very innovative with the blender there.

The blender trick is a great one. In college we had beer glasses that were canning jars with handles on them and they worked perfect for blender drinks. Personally I still like coffee grinders for fine powders but use a blender or cuisinart first to reduce the mass to course powder

Eureka! That look so much less messy than my coffee grinder and cheaper than a Bullet. I'm going to do the blender thing as soon as I get home tonight if my blender threads will work. I've got several baggies of dried pods I need to "do something with". :D

Where do you get the spare blade and cap?

That's it! I'm moving to where its not foggy 3/4 of the day. It's the end of July. I should be having a bounty like that. But beautiful pictures none the less.

POTAWIE said:
The blender trick is a great one. In college we had beer glasses that were canning jars with handles on them and they worked perfect for blender drinks. Personally I still like coffee grinders for fine powders but use a blender or cuisinart first to reduce the mass to course powder

They still sell those Mason jar mugs. ;)

You might be surprised what a blender will do when the dried pods are confined to a small area and introduced to a new set of very sharp blades.

caroltlw said:
Eureka! That look so much less messy than my coffee grinder and cheaper than a Bullet. I'm going to do the blender thing as soon as I get home tonight if my blender threads will work. I've got several baggies of dried pods I need to "do something with". :D

Where do you get the spare blade and cap?

Yeah, fast and easy cleanup. Got a replacement kit at Amazon

scarpetti said:
That's it! I'm moving to where its not foggy 3/4 of the day. It's the end of July. I should be having a bounty like that. But beautiful pictures none the less.

Thanks, but you may not like the hot humidity. :)

Back