• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

African Bird's Eye Sauce

Check out my repice for hot sauce.

- Tomato paste and water ( Don't know the exact quantity, just until I have the right consistency. It's still pretty watery in the end. ) I get about 400-500 ml of sauce. But I'm not sure, I haven't weighed it.
- Salt - 1/3 tablespoons
- Sugar - 1/2 tablespoons
- Oregano
- Black pepper powder
- Savory
- Some Sauce I found at the local supermarket called "Salsa messicana" I suppose it resembles regular salsa. Anyway, it's got a great flavour and makes the sauce tastier. However, I didn't use it before so you can count it out if you don't know what it's like. I'll look at the ingredients tomorrow and I'll let you know what it's made of. It's got a really special and unique taste, I couldn't not use this sauce since I discovered it.
- Bay Laurel (around 3 leaves)
- Ground peppers(romanian ones, I think, about as hot as pepperoncini, or maybe hotter) in vinegar. I don't add a lot of this, as to not make the sauce sour.
- Ground parsley ( a tiny bit )
- Ground dill ( a tiny bit )
- Garlic powder ( also, a tiny bit, you can barely feel it )
- Around 15 african bird's eye chili peppers, or piri piri, african devil, whatever you want to call them, which I grind into powder, with seeds and everything. ( I add these after the sauce has boiled, to make it as hot as possible )

I use this for spaghetties, and sometimes for pizza ( I make it thicker for pizza ).
I'm telling you guys, before the spaghetties even get a chance to boil, I eat half of this thing, it's so god damn tasty, I can't help myself.

Should you guys decide to make this sauce, just use the ingredient amounts as you see fit, I made around 20 of these sauces thus far, and I still haven't perfected my recipe, which I kind of invented, with a little help from my mom and dad. You can add cut up sausages or any kind of meat, I don't think it changes the flavour too much.

It might sound a bit silly to some. More experienced people have told me that the ingredients just don't add up, but trust me, THEY DO! Still, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

P.S.: I don't think it lasts too long, it's best to just eat it right away, or a week after you've made it, TOPS.

Sounds all good except for the dill. Don't see how it meshes or why its necessary. The peppers I would add in with the other ingredients rather than at the end. No reason not to. For half a litre of sauce I would probably do a minimum 15 habaneros or equivalent.

Dremoralord, you have some good ideas amigo. You should post more!

Salute', TB.

Here, I made a few pictures. Sorry about the quality, I used my crappy phone.
I believe you're right about the dill, it's unnecessary. Also, the garlic powder shouldn't be there either, it gets tricky to balance the taste out if I use it too. I made a sauce yesterday and it didn't work out as great as I had expected. I also ran out of Savory which is one of the main ingredients.

This is how much ground pepper I used. I'd use more but it gets too bitter.
2a8qqh3.jpg

The sauce... in the making. Just before adding the chile powder.
35b7edi.jpg

This is the final result. I wasn't even hungry, having eaten just on hour before, and I almost ate the entire plate.
29uzk9z.jpg

I know the sauce isn't too fiery, I'd love to find something hotter here but romanians just don't know their chilies... I'll probably end up growing them myself. Anyway, mixing all those hot things together, you end up with a pretty decent burn. I mean, this is me after eating that.
20gfzfc.jpg

Texas blues, I'm not really sure that's half a litre of sauce, it might be, but I usually make significantly less then what you can see in the picture. Don't the chillies lose some of their spiciness if you add them up whilst the sauce is still boiling? I mean, it is powder, I thought it's as efficient if I add them at the end, leaving them for 10 minutes or so to work their way through the whole sauce.

Nice going DL. Apparently from the sweaty pic of yourself, the sauce came out heat wise.....just right! Even when cooking chile's without removing the pith and seeds, it is our perception that a little bit of heat is lost. I think in most cases it is more of combining the chiles with other foods that in actuality is the masking effect of those foods that take away from the heat.

Well done DL!

Salute', TB.

Back