• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Kato's gumbo

Make a roux; mix 2 cups of flour into 1 1/2 cups hot oil Cook on high, stirring constantly until brown. The darker the roux better the gumbo
Add 1 chicken cooked and deboned 1 gallon of chicken stock from that cooked chicken 2 large onions chopped and 2 large green peppers 6 whole celery stems cut up bring to a boil then simmer down add salt and 1/2 cup of hot sauce. Slice & add 1 pound smoked sausage, 1 pound sliced okra.
When the okra is cooked bring up to a rolling boil and add 1 pound shrimp peeled 1 pint Oysters & 1 pound crawfish tails Cook for 3 minutes. Done

Gummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmbo!

OMG Kato... my mouth is watering just reading that!!!

I am printing it to try.

I suppose I should post one of our recipes.

T.

Works good with a 5oz bottle of Kato's meaner greener and of coarse I had to use frozen shrimp.
Marv
living up north and loving southern dishes

That's a thought...

And I just happen to have a bottle of Meaner Greener... Great idea.

Oh and btw... Wisconsin is NOT up north! 😉

T.

Is this Lawrence person living in an alternate universe? Or is he just trying to sell poker software? The detached ramblings have no attachment to the quotes being used.

kato said:
Make a roux; mix 2 cups of flour into 1 1/2 cups hot oil Cook on high, stirring constantly until brown. The darker the roux better the gumbo
Add 1 chicken cooked and deboned 1 gallon of chicken stock from that cooked chicken 2 large onions chopped and 2 large green peppers 6 whole celery stems cut up bring to a boil then simmer down add salt and 1/2 cup of hot sauce. Slice & add 1 pound smoked sausage, 1 pound sliced okra.
When the okra is cooked bring up to a rolling boil and add 1 pound shrimp peeled 1 pint Oysters & 1 pound crawfish tails Cook for 3 minutes. Done

Just an afterthought (from one who has made many a pot of gumbe). My great aunt taught me to brown the flour on med. high first, then slowly add the oil. YOu get a much darker thicker roux that way. You have to be very careful, though, and stir the flour constantly, or it could catch on fire. But it works. You'll get a roux you can stand up a spoon in.

Bring on the GUMBO! Living just north of New Orleans I have come to love all things Cajun! Gumbo is a gift from God no doubt! I want to be adopted into a Cajun family just for the good food :lol:

We're hosting a gumbo brunch a week from this Sunday. My wife is expert at it...cajuns in her family.

I'll post notes if there's anything worth noting. She doesn't put okra in it though.

Okra is a strange little burp of Nature. It's like walking a fence when you cook it. Cook it a second too long, and it resembles a festering pile of mucous, however, if you cook it properly, it's great! I haven't done it in a while, but I used to make okra fritters...Quite good and people loved them. The funny part is after they say they love them, and then you tell them what they were made of, they want to say yuck, but can't. Ahhh, the power of stifling a misdirected argument.

I love fried okra and I even like it in gumbo ( the word "gumbo" comes from an African word for okra) but slimey, boiled okra...I gag just thinking about it.

Okra????????????????

Not being from the deep south, I am certainly not an expert in all matters Okra, but.....
I was told, and I know it works, but to get rid of the "slimy" of Okra, :( cook it with a can of stewed tomatoes. Then add it to the gumbo pot.:hell:

okra is a staple for any good meal. not sure id like it in my gumbo though.

also, ive gotten better results starting the stove on medium - low and stirring to get the roux. sure, it will take a little longer, but the chance of scorching is much lower...

sounds like a good recipe though.

Back