• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Chocolate Fatali-No Heat?

I grew two chocolate fatali plants this season, as they were thrown into my seed order (which I greatly appreciated). I just harvested the pods and munched on one. After biting off a substantial chunk of the pod and swallowing, I waited for the heat to kick in. It never happened so I ate the rest. Still only minimal heat. I ate another with the same result. What's up with this pepper? I was looking forward to something similar to the regular (yellow) fatali's I am growing. What peppers were used to produce this hybrid?

I don't know the chilli that was crossed to make the choc fatalii but heaps of people here have said the same thing about this chilli which is very disappointing. I'm growing it this season and I hope i'm not disappointed like I know lots of others are.

I've got five chocolate fatalli plants, and just picked my first ripe one, it was six inches long, beautiful dark brown, impressive looking pepper... with no heat...at all...none... oh well...

but then one of my yellow fatalli plants which was next to a tasmanian habanero got crossed and produced some oversized large and twice the normal diameter fat looking fatallis with a deep orange, almost red color, which were quite hot and very fruity... and that particular tasmanian hab bush also got crossed and had oddly deformed shaped peppers on it which were pretty hot with a hint of sweetness...

apple pie

I have a beautiful chocolate Fatalii plant growing and it has zero heat too. I still did the grindage thing to them, it adds a great color to my powder mixes. Waste nothing.

patrick said:
I have a beautiful chocolate Fatalii plant growing and it has zero heat too. I still did the grindage thing to them, it adds a great color to my powder mixes. Waste nothing.

That's a good point Patrick......and i'm sure the taste wouldn't be all that bad with them so they would be good for spice mix..

apple pie said:
I've got five chocolate fatalli plants, and just picked my first ripe one, it was six inches long, beautiful dark brown, impressive looking pepper... with no heat...at all...none... oh well...

but then one of my yellow fatalli plants which was next to a tasmanian habanero got crossed and produced some oversized large and twice the normal diameter fat looking fatallis with a deep orange, almost red color, which were quite hot and very fruity... and that particular tasmanian hab bush also got crossed and had oddly deformed shaped peppers on it which were pretty hot with a hint of sweetness...

apple pie
Do you mean the fatalli was next to the tas hab last season and you grew from seeds you harvested from them? The fruit wont cross from being next to each other. Just their offspring.

UnNatural: last season all the yellow fatalli plants were normal, and this is my first season for tasmanian habs, these two particular plants were so close they had their branches mixed together and I just assumed that either the closeness or the bumble bees had cross polinated them... all the other fatalli and tasmanian hab plants in other areas of the yard were normal... by the way, the normal tasmanian habs had a nice heat and slightly sweet flavor and good taste but the skin was kinda tough and hard to cut with a knife...

apple pie

As unnatural said, the current generation will not be affected by being close together, but the offspring could be a cross. It looks like you got some Taz seeds that were already crossed and/or your fatalii got crossed last season(if you used your saved seeds)

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but i'd like to add that my chocolate fatalii's this year (i already harvested 4 of them), have substantial heat.
Maybe this is a later generation then the ones you guys have grown, hard to tell.

From what i know the chocolate fatalii is a cross between a fatalii red and a brown peruvian/aji brown done by a guy named Scotch Sonnet Steve (SBS) a few years back.

My choc fatalli that I grew 2 seasons ago I almost ripped up after hearing everyone say it had no heat. I didn't get around to it and then when it fruited I tried it and it had a nice heat to it. Not as hot as the yellow but there was definately some heat in it.

I'm waiting a couple more years to see if the chocolate fatalii picks up some heat before I decide to grow it.

Personally, I believe that If its named fatalii its suposed to, at least, have the same heat as the original.
I won't say that I also think that the plant is suposed to have the same growth habit and the pods should taste about the same ( I know this one is hard to do).

I'm very happy to ear that Wildfire and Fertilizer already have pods that have some heat in them... it's a step in the right direction.

Bleash

A landrace that has been growing for hundreds of years deserves its own name in my opinion. Crossing a fatalii makes it no longer a fatalii and chocolate varieties will never taste the same as yellows

I agree with you potawie, they should no longer be called 'fatalii' as their genetics are not even close to the original anymore.
I ate a fresh choco fatalii pod today, and i have to say that the pod was at least as hot as a red habanero, or at least thats my perception.

Good to hear the heat is making a come back.

I really liked the looks of the chocolate Fatalii I grew two years ago and was pretty disappointed about the heat. AJ and Cappy grew them too and when they told me there wasn't any heat I was just a tad suspicious. They were right.

Back