• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Looking for simplicity but tasty

Ok I have played around with Cayennes a little and just got about 10 more from the neighbor behind me (because they burned his mouth for 20 minutes) and was wondering if someone had a simple recipe that includes ONLY Cayennes (since its all I have) and maybe Jalapeno. I know I could do just cayenne, vinegar, and salt but I am looking for a little more flavor then that.

Any suggestions?
Thanks much

I am pretty new at making sauces but have really had a blast this year. Luckily my plants have produced real good this year and I have been expierimenting with differnt peppers. I have been mixing different peppers and different ingredients. I have been making a simple recipe for some using Cider vinegar, sea salt or pickling salt, a little sugar, some garlic, diced onions and lime juice. Some of my family members don't like as much heat as I do but this is a pretty tame recipe that I did with some of my Cayennes. I did pretty much the same thing with my Jaelepno peppers but once I made the first batch I added twice as many peppers and deleted the carrots and ended up with an awesome green sauce. I added some Serrano peppers to it to kick the heat up a little also. I made another sauce using only my Poblano peppers. I thought Poblano were suppose to be mild peppers but ours are hotter than our Jalepeno's and we made a green sauce out of them also for my better half to use in cooking. We covered some chicken breasts with it last night and it turned out really good.
Here in Texas it is always all or nothing. We were putting up with no rain and hot temps for months and now I have had 10 inches + rain in 5 days and highs in the 70's. I am anxious to get out and pick some more peppers. My bells really liked all of the rain lately.

So your saying that I may want to try...
Cayenne
Carrots
Salt
Sugar
Vinegar
Lime

Now I know 10-ish Cayennes inst a lot, which is why I am thinking of throwing in a Jalapeno or two, but how much carrots would you throw in for that ammount of Cayennes?

crazy8 said:
So your saying that I may want to try...
Cayenne
Carrots
Salt
Sugar
Vinegar
Lime

Now I know 10-ish Cayennes inst a lot, which is why I am thinking of throwing in a Jalapeno or two, but how much carrots would you throw in for that ammount of Cayennes?

Something I've always done at home for dinners is I just look at like recipezaar.com and for instance, take http://www.recipezaar.com/Habanero-Carrot-Hot-Sauce-336915

I would then take that recipe,
adapt it to my liking
like less 1 cup water
more peppers
add some liquid smoke

Just find a base and then play with it and have some fun!

Back