• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Crawfish @ Lonestar Oyster Bar 02-12-10

If you are ever in the southwest side of Fort Worth near the intersection of I-20 and Bryant Irving Road, there is a mom and pop place there by the name of Lone Star Oyster Bar. The owner Bob is a great guy and I have never had anything but excellent food there.

This time of year, even though it is early in the season, they serve up some of the best crawfish I have ever had. Each order is cooked when you order it. "NO PRECOOKING ALLOWED" is Bobs idea of how to serve good mudbugs.

I got a call from a good friend of mine last night and it was a very simple conversation. Lone Star Oyster Bar, 11:00 AM, Friday, 12 February 2010, all the crawfish and cold beer you can eat and he's buyin'. My response was very simple as was the message - "I can do that".

Several of us met and enjoyed a bunch of crawfish...we only ordered a few pounds at a time so they would be deliciously hot and fresh boiled when we ate them.

The first batch we had could have used some more spice but then again it was the first batch of the day they had prepared...batch after batch, they got better and better. The size was pretty fair for this time of year with the last two batches being larger. I brought a little of my "home remedy" spice in case we needed some and also some Red Savina Puree to put in the melted butter that we dipped our delicious tails in...

AJs Crawfish Eatin' Method

1. Grab the crawfish, head in left hand, tail in right hand.
2. Twist sharply turning your left hand to you and your right hand away from you - Note: this gives you the head and claws in your left hand and the tail in your right hand...for those of you that don't suck heads, eat the lungs and claws, skip to step 6
3. Put the tail down on the platter and take the head by the eyeballs and top of head in your left hand and grab the legs in your right hand.
4. Gently pulling down, pull the legs off...the lungs will be the fleshy tissue attached to them. Eat the lungs with suction in your mouth and you will see why people love crawfish...this is where all the flavor of the crawfish meets the flavor or the spices.
5. Break claws off (if they are large enough), throw the legs down on the platter, and suck/bite/chew the claw until you break the shell and get the sugar meat out...this meat is pure heaven. Discard Claws.
6. Grab the tail, get the shell off the best way you can...I usually peel the first section of the tail, put the exposed meat in my mouth and squeeze the bottom of the tail releasing the white meat quite fit for Cajun's, Coon Asses, and all of us southern folk. If you want to dip the tail in a bowl of melted butter (no, low fat won't work) the tails take on an almost "lobsterish" taste, but if you mix some kind of ultra hot pepper puree/powder (Red Savina or hotter) in the butter, then dip the tail, the taste becomes better than mere mortals should be allowed.
7......DRINK BEER
8. Go back to step 1 and continue until you don't want any more. And I didn't say until you were full either. "When you don't want any more is about a magnitude past full.

021210D004-1.jpg

As you can see, we all enjoyed them....

mmmmmmmmmmmmm...nothin' better than good friends, crawfish, and cold beers...Bon Apetite

I highly recommend the Lone Star Oyster Bar (google it on Bryant Irving in Fort Worth). It is as fine a seafood eating establishment as I have ever frequented.

Yep AJ, that is how I was taught to eat them.

Sounds like a fantastic place and I'm extremely envious that you have it in your backyard.

Helluva' review AJ. You sure ya'll are in Texas? tsk. tsk. tsk. not one Stetson in that pic. I'm guessin' though, some goat ropin' boots were worn.

Back