• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pro-mix HP - Any thoughts?

Hi,

Stopped by my local hydro store this afternoon looking to get some pro-mix. All he had this year was Pro-mix HP so I bought a bale.

I guess it has additional perilite to support better drainage. Sounds about right for peppers.

Any thoughts? ANyone use this before? All I really hear about on the board is BX and thats what I used last year.

thanks,
jj

PRO-MIX 'HP' is a "High Porosity" peat/perlite-based growing medium. This mix ensures optimum growth, especially when high air-capacity and extra drainage are required. It is ideal for water-sensitive crops, rooting cuttings and/or low-light growing conditions.

I picked up a bale of the BX couple days ago and the owner of the shop was showing me the HP. Along with the additional perlite it's supposed to have beneficial bacteria and micro nutrients already in it. Could be the next great thing. I hope you keep us posted on how it works for you JJ.

patrick said:
I picked up a bale of the BX couple days ago and the owner of the shop was showing me the HP. Along with the additional perlite it's supposed to have beneficial bacteria and micro nutrients already in it. Could be the next great thing. I hope you keep us posted on how it works for you JJ.

Thanks for the info Patrick.

Some of the Congo XL Seeds you sent me are going into it pretty soon :D

The BX costs between 25-30 dollars a bale around B'ham. I haven't seen the HP version around here yet, so I can't comment on it.

Alan

Mister_Al said:
The BX costs between 25-30 dollars a bale around B'ham. I haven't seen the HP version around here yet, so I can't comment on it.

Alan
This nursery (Teas Nursery) is the only place in Houston that I know sells it. I think they know it. I also think they realize that I cant get it here for less because of shipping cost.

I usually pay just over $20 CND per bale although the price has likely gone up again. I've never used the HP but I like the pgx for seed starting in cells. I don't think the HP has any vermiculite, and the PGX has smaller grade vermiculite and no perlite also shorter fibers of peat

I paid 35 for a bale. This store definitely overprices everything.

I'm pretty shocked people can pay as low as 20. Seems like a steal to me.

Peat is usually harvested in Canada so the further south you are the more you're paying for shipping. You can also likely save by buying in bulk

I only use Premiers products at least for soil purposes. The nutrients are well distributed compared to some of the competition iv'e used.

madhatter said:
I only use Premiers products at least for soil purposes. The nutrients are well distributed compared to some of the competetion of used.

hey madhatter and welcome. another chili head in Barrie? I thought I was the only one.

Mister_Al said:

Alan

Hey Alan; who carries BX in B'ham? No one in T town has it and I'd like to try it and compare it's performance to my mix.

Back