• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Hot Pepper Oil

I wanted to share my pepper oil recipe with yall,I hope this is the right forum for this post!
Its a very simple recipe,I started with some dried garlic and peppercorns,,A couple bottles of Olive oil and some dried peppers. About a dozen Bhut's and a dozen Thais.
10-16makingoil1.jpg

I then put 3 Bhut's in each bottle (for asthetics) and crushed the rest into a glass with a couple TBLS.each of dried garlic and peppercorns.
10-16makingoil2.jpg

Then I heated the olive oil..not super hot but enough so that a drop of water doesnt splatter it., Pour it over the crushed stuff.The stuff will float for about 30 minutes then slowly start to fall into the cooled oil.
10-16makingoil3.jpg

Then strain the oil thru a sieve.
10-16makingoil4.jpg

And finally add it back to the bottles...Waalaa. It tastes so good! I like to store it in a dark cabinet.(but I use it pretty quick) In the fridge it clouds up in a couple of weeks.
10-16makingoil5.jpg

Kevin

Infused oils should be refrigerated. Botulism can occur.

Very nice. I have made oils that way too. I usually use Canola for them since olive oil is so expensive. Good pics and description.

thehotpepper.com said:
Infused oils should be refrigerated. Botulism can occur.

Yep that is what I've heard,So refridgerate it,I just prefer to store mine with my other oils under the sink..that way I get about a month before its used up..Fridge starts to cloud up in about 2 weeks!But I dont want anyone to get sick so please store in fridge!!

JayT said:
Very nice. I have made oils that way too. I usually use Canola for them since olive oil is so expensive. Good pics and description.

JayT I only use olive oil when I get it real cheap,In this case 1.50 per bottle at big lots "a closeout store in my area".This stuff is great on a salad w/ some vinegar based Bhut sauce! Yum!

cloudy oil,

is that a description of a "semi-solidified" oil? I don't think that is a BAD thing..........Peanut oil and sesame oil do the same thing with refrigeration. I've heard (and I think ) that refrigeration keeps oils from turning rancid plus the botulism thing. The oil liquefies again when brought back to room temp.

When I need to use a peanut oil or sesame oil that's been refrigerated, I run the bottle under hot water if it's a small bottle or set the bottle in hot water if it's a larger bottle to "melt" the oil for use.

jmHUMBLEo...

Grapeseed oil does not harden or cloud when refrigerated. It's also a great tasting oil, and has a high smoke point (for cooking). I recommend you guys give it a shot.

salsalady said:
refrigeration keeps oils from turning rancid plus the botulism thing.
jmHUMBLEo...
Please refridgerate people!! and did I actually say "salad" Is my man card revoked now? Ooops.

Is there anything you can do with the pepper/garlic/peppercorn mix once you strain the oil or is most of the capsaicin in the oil?

Back