• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

media Jiffy Pellets (Kinda)

Found a hydroponics shop near me, strolled in looking for some mylar and jiffy pellets.

Guy reckons these things are better than jiffy pellets, they look similar (15p each). Instruction was to just drop a seed in the hole and wait.
So I have. I sprinkled some warm water on them for a tad of moisture and they are in the airing cupboard in a basic prop.
I can see that 4 Jalepenos and 3 Boliv Rainbows have got loops, hopefully the Bhut Jolokia has, but I cant see properly.

Anyhoo. anyone know what they are called, or if they are any good?
Also, when the seedling gets established, what then, plant straight into a soil pot? I was thinking id trim the pellet down before planting in small pots.

26032010015.jpg

This is kind of my back up plan, just to see what it was like in pellets. I have the same seeds going using the kitchen paper method, then into this.

26032010016.jpg

Bit of a random question while im here.
When a seed is first germinating, is the shoot that comes out first the root, or the leaf shoot?
Just so I know which way to orientate them when putting into soil.

Thanks in advance.

C

Never used those pellets before, but I like how they look a lot neater then the peat pucs. How deep are the holes? Seems like they are a bit tall which would make bottom watering a bit hard and if the holes are too deep they may not be good for peppers. Do they sell a holding tray the same size as the puck or are you suppose to just stand them up in a flat tray?

The holes are around a third of the height, I can see the seed down there. Im guessing the roots will penetrate the sponge cake like walls.
There are normal type seed trays which they would fit into snugly, I just put them into those little trays I already have, was kind of an impulse buy being they were cheap.

The guy said not to wet them, just have moisture around. Since there is condensation on the prop i figure there is enough moisture. They feel kind of moist to the touch before I sprinkled some warm water in the trays.

Wunder said:
Found a hydroponics shop near me, strolled in looking for some mylar and jiffy pellets.

Guy reckons these things are better than jiffy pellets, they look similar (15p each). Instruction was to just drop a seed in the hole and wait.
So I have. I sprinkled some warm water on them for a tad of moisture and they are in the airing cupboard in a basic prop.
I can see that 4 Jalepenos and 3 Boliv Rainbows have got loops, hopefully the Bhut Jolokia has, but I cant see properly.

Anyhoo. anyone know what they are called, or if they are any good?
Also, when the seedling gets established, what then, plant straight into a soil pot? I was thinking id trim the pellet down before planting in small pots.

26032010015.jpg

This is kind of my back up plan, just to see what it was like in pellets. I have the same seeds going using the kitchen paper method, then into this.

26032010016.jpg

Bit of a random question while im here.
When a seed is first germinating, is the shoot that comes out first the root, or the leaf shoot?
Just so I know which way to orientate them when putting into soil.

Thanks in advance.

C

The loops in my experience are the we little leaves....you have good stuff going on there.

I believe those are Rapid Rooters made by General Hydroponics. Usually sold in a bag but I guess your guy sells them individually or is a possible knock off. I've seen them used to start cuttings. Retains moisture so you have to be careful with overwatering. They're organic so you can transplant to bigger pots.

Those look like coir pellets. They're made from coconut husks and are excellent for capsicum germination. The PH is around 5.5. South Devon Nursery swears by them for Habs and Nagas. My seeds are going in this morning.

RAPID ROOTERS

thaichillihead has it right. I've used them lots of times and they work very well. Just keep an eye on them because they have a tendency to dry out a bit. And when you start seeing a bunch of little roots poking through just stick the whole plug into your medium. (I put 5 from the pic into coco/perlite this morning)

I've seen a couple other brands--Root Riot and Sunlight Supply has some and some other generic brand that I can't remember. They're all basically the same spongy compost stuff.

IMG_2293.jpg

Yup, Rapid Rooter plugs and they are great for starting seeds- the only caution is, as Duff states, they do tend to dry out on top so you'd be best served to cover them to keep humidity in. You don't have to worry about pH levels with 'em as much as you do with rockwool.

The first part of the seed that sprouts will be the root, the first leaves will appear when its seed casing falls off.
As for the pellets, personally I'd skip them and just use a good soiless mix in plastic cells

Im quite pleased that a root has appeared from the bottom of the plug in most of my seedlings, most of which are my superhots.
Does that mean its time to pot on? Its moist in there but they are not sitting in water, but they are not sitting in anything at all either.
Also, should i put the entire plug in the next pot? I was thinking of trimming it down is all.

Thanks.

W.

They only have there seed leaves, all the way up to them then, id usually wait until they are larger.
I guess I could plant them low ish in the pot (plastic coffee cup) so when they grow taller I could add compost?

Back