• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Determining seed viability

I have seen many sites say to determine viable seeds place them in a bowl of water. Now comes the separation.

Some say the sinkers are good and others the floaters are good.

Does anyone know for sure?

With peppers no as there is no correlation between sinking/floating and seed viability. The best way to test seed viability given that you have a somewhat large stock of said seed is to do a test germination of 10 or so seeds. This will give you a idea of the probability that a seed said stock will germinate, being treated the same way as the test germ that is.

With peppers no as there is no correlation between sinking/floating and seed viability. The best way to test seed viability given that you have a somewhat large stock of said seed is to do a test germination of 10 or so seeds. This will give you a idea of the probability that a seed said stock will germinate, being treated the same way as the test germ that is.

thats what i do, i overharvest and use the papertowel method to germinate some of the seeds to be sure they are good to go

With peppers no as there is no correlation between sinking/floating and seed viability.
Aye, I've had a lot of seeds float before and they've sprouted just fine. Conversely, I've had a lot of sinkers too which have sprouted just fine.

only way to get viable seed is to get from ripe fruit. if the seed is mishapen, too thin, too small or underdeveloped....then that's signs that it's no good.

that's all i know. i stick whatever i got in the soil and wait if it's sprouts. then just compute for germination %.

Back