• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Using pepper mash in sauce recipes

Hi everyone,

I've had my hab mash going for about six weeks, and am now looking for recipes to use it in. I'd like to hear from anyone with experience using the mash as one ingredient in, or as a base for hot sauce recipes. I've read that about a tablespoon of mash can equal a standard sized pod in a sauce recipe. Is this how you guys go about using the mash in your recipes? Just simply replacing some of the fresh pods with spoonfuls of the fermented stuff?

I did use some carrots and garlic in my mash, but not so much as to completely alter an existing sauce recipe that might call for additional carrots or garlic. I'm thinking that if a recipe uses these items, I would simply scale back those ingredients a bit to make up for their presence in the mash itself. The carrots that I used were more to promote Lacto activity than anything else.

Would you guys still add some vinegar, even though the ph should be low enough to jar as is (will be testing this once my ph strips arrive)?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide in terms of using hot pepper mash in existing recipes, or formulating your own recipe that incorporates the mash.

Peace!
John

Here is a recipe I found on Leeners web site, and adapted to my taste.
(changes:I doubled the Hab mash from 1 TBS to 2TBS and substituted 6 green Anaheim chile's for 2 red bell peppers)
It went over very very well with friends and family, so much so, that I'm planning to bottle a case or so for Christmas gifts.
After aging for a couple weeks, the green chile flavor really came out.
It goes well on any meat..and also works well with brown beans.(A staple around here)
The mash I used has 12% salt by weight, so you might not need to add any additional salt.
The heat is about medium, which works out fine for the folks that will be getting a bottle from Santa this year.
But I'd like to use another TBS of Hab Mash(for total of 3)for my private sauce stock.

Southwest Hot Sauce

2 Tablespoon Habanero Mash or 3 fresh Habanero peppers
6 Anaheim Peppers (whole canned)
1 cup White Vinegar
2 Garlic Cloves or 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
2 Tablespoons Ancho Pepper Powder
2 teaspoons Chipolte Pepper Powder
1 teaspoon ground Coriander
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
1/2 teaspoon ground Cumin
1 teaspoon Salt

Roast and peel red pepper as described under Use Hot Peppers. Cut into 1-2 inch chunks.
Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth.
Pour sauce into a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Hold at 180° F for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour into sterilized hot bottles, then invert until cool.

(Yield: 2 cups) pH=approx./3.8

So Chili Monsta,

Did you use ONLY the hab mash in this recipe, or did you sub out any tablespoons of the mash for actual hab peppers?

What's the heat level like with the 3 tablespoons of mash? I'm thinking of doing the 3 tablespoons, with the the addition of some whole hab peppers, since I want the actual fresh habanero flavor to come through in the sauce as well.

Is there a commercial sauce, or level of heat found in a specific fresh pod, that you could compare to the heat level of the 3 tablespoon version of this stuff?

Thanks again for your continued help!

Peace.

So Chili Monsta,

Did you use ONLY the hab mash in this recipe, or did you sub out any tablespoons of the mash for actual hab peppers?

What's the heat level like with the 3 tablespoons of mash? I'm thinking of doing the 3 tablespoons, with the the addition of some whole hab peppers, since I want the actual fresh habanero flavor to come through in the sauce as well.

Is there a commercial sauce, or level of heat found in a specific fresh pod, that you could compare to the heat level of the 3 tablespoon version of this stuff?

Thanks again for your continued help!

Peace.
Greetings John,

I have made several more batches of this recipe since first posting it. To best accomodate the friends/family who have requested some,I've made some using much more mash and one with only 1-1/2 TBS of mash. I have found that 5 to 6 TBS to be most to my liking, and I'd rate at around a (5) on a heat scale. So my heat level estimate would equal the number of TBS you use.I have also substituted a fresh red bell pepper for the green chiles. The original recipe I worked from called for red bell pepper,but I used green chile because i really like them. The red give it a fresh,totally different flavor and is somewhat lighter.
Ive not used any fresh Habs because I'd have to buy some....and I still have plenty of Hab mash to work with.But as popular as this sauce has become with friends/family, I expect to be making it quite often...and when fresh peppers are available from the garden, some will be thrown in the pot for sure.

Note:
My Hab mash ismade strictly with salt and a little water.I have found that if I use 3 or more TBS os mash....then no additional salt is necessary.

I hope this helps. Let me know how yours turns out and what,if any, variations you might try.

CM

1 cup White Vinegar
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
1 teaspoon Salt

Which individual ingredients can you detect the taste of. For example can you tell the Ancho is there or the Chipolte or Anaheim or green or red sweet pepper. etc.

I bet the curry powder comes through.

I like this recipe. I like the blend of peppers. I am just wondering if the flavor of each pepper is making a difference or is it over powered.

I am surprised there is not fruit added to the habs. What do you think about the absence of fruit flavors with the habs.

I was thinking of mixing some habs with some fruit like peaches pineapple etc. no decisions. just thinking about it. Also considering just using a bottle of fruit juice instead of the actual fruit itself. what do people think about that. I suspect the habs will over power the fruit and or fruit juice.

1 cup White Vinegar
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
1 teaspoon Salt

Which individual ingredients can you detect the taste of. For example can you tell the Ancho is there or the Chipolte or Anaheim or green or red sweet pepper. etc.

I bet the curry powder comes through.

I like this recipe. I like the blend of peppers. I am just wondering if the flavor of each pepper is making a difference or is it over powered.

I am surprised there is not fruit added to the habs. What do you think about the absence of fruit flavors with the habs.

I was thinking of mixing some habs with some fruit like peaches pineapple etc. no decisions. just thinking about it. Also considering just using a bottle of fruit juice instead of the actual fruit itself. what do people think about that. I suspect the habs will over power the fruit and or fruit juice.

Greetings TB:
Actually,the overall flavor is more like a composite of all the ingredients. No single flavor dominates, but contributes to an interesting,rich depth of flavor.
To your point...When tasting the first batch I made, I was somewhat surprised myself that the curry didn't take over.....but I think the amount I used in this size of batch is just about right for my liking.
The red bell peppers VS the Anaheim did make a difference. I personally like the green chili taste, but the red peppers seemed to make the sauce taste lighter.(and less like my green chili)
The Ancho and Chipolte powders give it a kind of earthy overtone,while also helping to naturally thicken the sauce.

NOTE:
When I make a heated-up batch(5-6 TBS of the hab mash) I don't include any additional salt....its just not necessary.
I have been very pleased with the flavor when I substituted lime juice for the white vinegar.(I plan to do so more often)

I have also used this same recipe and added various fruits,and I've been quite happy with the result as a dipping sweet sauce/chutney.
Hab Mash Mango-Mandarin
Hab Mash Mango-Peach
Hab Mash Red Raspberry-Pear

The peach,pear,mandarin orange...were canned fruits while the Mango,red raspberry were fresh.
I also used 1/4 cup Agave syrup and 1/2tsp of Xanthan gum with the fruit dipping sauce/chutney versions.
Hope this info helps you out...and,
Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Back