contest BEGIN! Bayou Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cajun Enchiladas! :woohoo: Oh man can't wait to see this.

Fire Creole Shrimp-n-Rice

Fasten seatbelts and keep all hands and body parts inside the car until stopped....Here we go! Off on a Creole Cast Iron adventure............

Teaser pic of Ingredients
Food.jpg

The Holy Trinity
Food061.jpg

Happy Trinity Getting to know each other x2
Food065.jpg

Pecans added for the rice...play nice now
Food068.jpg

Tomatoes, Cayenne, Tepin, Tabasco Powders added along with 2 Bay Leaves
Food069.jpg

Simmer for 20 minutes while everything gets aquainted.....The wait is killing me

Add shrimp and simmer for 5 more minutes
Food072.jpg

Drum Roll Please............ Fire Creole Shrimp over Pecan Rice
Food075.jpg

WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!

Hell YES, Paul!

I'd eat the rice OR the shrimp all on it's own....but together they're mesmerizing!

:clap:

Edit: And by the way....I think that's the third CI dutch I've seen in this competition! AMAZING!!

100_2869.jpg

P.S. I want a Jambalaya pot!!

Andouille? Yes we do.

This was a tough one. With all this brain warping terminology and rules... SoFlo had to bust out the Excel spreadsheets and bust out our inner-dorkiness. And by Excel spreadsheets I mean dart-boards... and inner-dorkiness is universally know as total awesomeness. Of the protein choices I had to go with shrimp & andouille. Okra is a fav as well as tomatoes, so had to include them. The trinity with some garlic & salt/cayenne powder, plus the okra and tomatoes boiled down and reduced to pure sweet tenderness... nothing better. Grilled andouille... boiled/steamed shrimp in cayenne'd old bay... Are you kidding me??? And for the heat: a nice smothering of creole mustard and some grill-roasted finger hots!
SoFlo had it goin' on, tough TD or not.

Boiling down the trinity for a good half hour with some fresh chopped garlic & salt.
IMG_2960.jpg

Added in the tomatoes and the okra to the mix. Slowed to a simmer and let this reduce to sweet pasty goodness. I think this is a re-mix of HotStuff's basic gumbo minus the meat.
IMG_2966.jpg

Grilled andouille and finder hots. Perfect.
IMG_2969.jpg

Poppied French bread with halved grilled andouille. This is the beginning of the build.
IMG_2970.jpg

Cooling the shkrumps so they can be peeled without burning the s out of our hands.
IMG_2972.jpg

Skrumpped gewdness!
IMG_2973.jpg

Hoary-morrey... nothing left to say.
IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2981.jpg

A little SoCo for good measure.
IMG_2983.jpg

SoFlo

Some in process shots:

The trinity with the seasonings -

P1020204.jpg

Adding the tomatoes -

P1020206.jpg

Creole (enchalada) sauce -

P1020208.jpg

The andouille and shrimp -

P1020212.jpg

Finished enchalada stuffing (andouille, shrimp, rice, garlic, tomatoe, etc)-

P1020221.jpg

Grilling the corn (notice the snow) -

P1020210.jpg

Corn salsa chopped ingredients -

P1020215.jpg

Finished corn salsa -

P1020217.jpg

Will post a few more action shots when I fry the tortillas brushed with Cappy's Brain Strain Sauce - then the final plating.

Getting close to plating:

Using Cappy's Brain Strain Sauce to coat the tortillas before frying -

P1020224.jpg

Assembling the enchaladas -

P1020226.jpg

Next up - the final product.

Crazy Creole shenannigans from da SoFlo posse!!!

Sammich looks amazing!!!

....but what's with the rubber band on the beer can?

Sum, where's your pepper hotter than cayenne?

Thanks Paulky. The flavors all melded together was mesmerizing. This was an awesome feast and an awesome idea for a throwdown. Regardless if I get enough votes for a win, or any votes for that matter, this Throwdown was a Win! WIN!!!

Bayou Battle...

Pick at least one main ingredient:
1. Catfish
2. Gator (or croc, for Aussies)
3. Shellfish (crawfish, shrimp, blue crab, or oysters only)
4. Pork (andouille, tasso, or chaurice only)
5. Poultry (chicken, turkey, or duck only)

(You must limit the protein ingredients to the above and not add additional meat, fish, etc.)

Pick at least two additional ingredients:
1. Okra
2. Corn
3. Rice
4. Tomatoes
5. Pecans
(You may also add whatever else you want as long as you pick two, and do not add additional meat, fish, etc. except what is listed in section 1.)

Pick at least one Cajun/Creole staple:
1. Roux
2. Trinity (green bell peppers, onion, celery)
3. Crab/Shrimp/Crawfish boil (spices)
4. Creole Mustard
5. Filé Powder

Pick at least one cooking method:
1. Grill/Smoke
2. Fry (deep or sauté)
3. Étouffée
4. Boil
5. Stew

Mandatory ingredients:
Cayenne pepper, and one hotter pepper (in any form). Cappy's Brain Strain Sauce

Rules

1. Follow the above to create your entry.
2. Proof of Life = $.55 (55 cents must be in your teaser picture. If no teaser picture, must be in final.)
3. Your entry must be one post with a name for your creation, a plating picture, and a list of the choices you made to create your entry.
4. You must post your entry in this thread by Sunday at 9 pm EST.

Here's my 1st entry:

Buddy's Cajanadas (Cajun Enchaladas):

Fried enchaladas filled with creole sauce combined with shrimp, andouille, and rice with grilled corn salsa and a margarita (of course)

P1020229.jpg

P1020231.jpg

Wasn't sure going in what this would taste like, but I was really happy with the result. Hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did while making and dining on it.

Finger hots are hotter than Cayenne. Is this a misconception? I had one that bleaux my mind last night!
Thanks! Not real familiar with them. Publix? ;)

That things looks killer. How long was it?

The finger hots at our publix are wicked hot. I can vouch for that. We have them above 50k on scovilles great scale.

Sum, your sammy came out great!!! Well done.
I'm still processing everyones entries.

Buddy, looks good!!!

Im posting soon!!!!

Here's my 1st entry:

Buddy's Cajanadas (Cajun Enchaladas):

Fried enchaladas filled with creole sauce combined with shrimp, andouille, and rice with grilled corn salsa and a margarita (of course)

P1020231.jpg

Wasn't sure going in what this would taste like, but I was really happy with the result. Hope everyone enjoys this as much as I did while making and dining on it.

Buddy, great inovative dish, with all that Brain Strain sauce it's gotta be smokin, that little pile of sauce looks like it too.

Laissez les bons temps rouler

Let the good times roll!

Hubby spent some time in New Orleans with his rugby team during Mardi Gras back in 1983. This entry is based on the good times they had. Please enjoy-

Shrimp, Chicken and Andouille Etouffee over rice
Shrimp Boil
Cajun Tater Salad
Spicy Corn Bread
Parmesan & Garlic Baguette slices
Pecan pie

Meats used-
shrimp, chicken, andouille

Sides-
corn, rice, pecans

cooking style-
etouffee, boil

Staples-
Roux, trinity, shrimp boil, homemade creole mustard

Chiles-
cayenne powder, 2 small 7 Pods, lots of other habs, fatalii and superhots in the dry spices.

Shrimp Etouffee with chicken and andouille-
A jazzed up trinity with a couple little 7 Pods (some of the very last hanging on the chile plants)
Chicken seasoned with homemade cajun spice with extra cayenne
handmade andouille from the local butcher shop, heavy on the smokey and spicy= YUMMY!
5b9e8501.jpg

A nice dark roux-
157f2e12.jpg

I wanted the chicken to get "fried" before going into the etouffee, so the andouille went into the fry pan just long enough to start releasing some of the fat, next the the spiced chicken to get some crispies on it, then the Jazzy Trinity-
f1484de9.jpg

Chicken stock with the roux, all the fixings and the pot gets happy~~~
aad4bad1.jpg

Good stuff on deck for the shrimp boil-
Shrimp, andouille, corn on the cob, red potatoes, cauliflower and mushrooms in the bag, Boil bag seasoning, lemon, garlic, onion, cayenne,

884e393c.jpg

A HOT boil, ready to soak for a few-
7da7eaf3.jpg

The Side Dishes-
Cajun Tater Salad- red potatoes, celery, green onion, boiled eggs, mayo, homemade creole mustard, cayenne, salt, pepper. (hubby said this recipe is better than my regular potato salad!)

Spicy Cornbread- cornmeal, flour, eggs, milk, baking powder and a healthy spoonful of fresh Yellow Spice Blend (aji chinchi, fatalii, peter peppers)

Parmesan Garlic baguette slices- smear baguette slices with melted butter, crushed garlic, sprinkle with parmesan and broil

Pecan Pie- standard recipe with Peruvian White habanero powder added!

Rice- (aka=rice)

ed7c0eea.jpg

Bring it all together, COME AND GET IT!
3fd94021.jpg

6648171b.jpg

Laissez les bons temps rouler, Let the good times roll!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back