• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

grafting chili peppers

I am pretty intrigued by the idea of creating "Frankenstein peppers", by means of grafting different strains of plant together.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, grafting plants causes genetic material from the "host" (the plant with the root system) to merge with the "newcomer", and the fruits will be hybrids, but in the SAME generation rather than the next.

Imagine the potentional of the most freaky deaky chili pepper combos possible :eek:

But I'm not about to sacrifice two perfectly good and pure Naga's, Jolo Yellows or Choco Haba to an experiment with a high risk factor.

Anyone experienced with grafting peps ? Here's how it's done :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yQvDQ1NiAY&feature=channel

I was under the impression that this type of grafting was used to reduce diseases and the tomatoes will be of the type grafted onto the root stock.
Another grafting type where they graft onto the stem I thought produced several different types of fruit could be produced on the same plant at once.

Hi Sluggy,

Unfortunately, grafting one pepper type onto another pepper rootstock will not cause any genetic material to flow from one pepper plant to the other.

Plants that are slow growing, or plants with a less hardy rootstock are sometimes grafted onto hardy, vigorous rootstock plants(read plants that will successfully accept the grafts), in order to speed up the growth of a desirable but slower growing plant.

Hardy rootstock plants, that can handle colder climates also are chosen to have desirable but less hardy plants grafted onto them.

dvg

I have got the nastiest looking wild solanum that you can imagine. It is called the "bush tomato" and the old italian market gardeners from our region used to graft eggplants and tomatoes onto this wild and grow perennial eggplant trees and tomato trees. The bush tomato has large serrated leaves and big nasty spikes up the trunk and branches. I was thinking of trying to graft a superhot or 2 onto my bush tomato motherplant. It is about 10 foot high and very tough. I will take a photo when I am down at the front of the farm and post it here. (It is 800 meters away and too far to go in 38 degree heat.)

I have got the nastiest looking wild solanum that you can imagine. It is called the "bush tomato" and the old italian market gardeners from our region used to graft eggplants and tomatoes onto this wild and grow perennial eggplant trees and tomato trees. The bush tomato has large serrated leaves and big nasty spikes up the trunk and branches. I was thinking of trying to graft a superhot or 2 onto my bush tomato motherplant. It is about 10 foot high and very tough. I will take a photo when I am down at the front of the farm and post it here. (It is 800 meters away and too far to go in 38 degree heat.)

I've seen the berries/tomatoes off this plant on the food network, they look really nice, are they?

I've seen trio apple trees for sale here, braeburn, granny, and another grafted. awesome way to get different fruit off the same tree. Is it possible to do the same with chillies? if so, that is definitely worth a go

sort of reminds me of morel de balbis or litchi tomato. growing one right now.

63d5c935.jpg

Here's one thread of several on grafting chiles
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/11167-grafting-a-multi-pepper-plant

I've seen the berries/tomatoes off this plant on the food network, they look really nice, are they?

I've seen trio apple trees for sale here, braeburn, granny, and another grafted. awesome way to get different fruit off the same tree. Is it possible to do the same with chillies? if so, that is definitely worth a go

They taste pretty crappy but the trendies use them in "bush foods".

Yes it would be possible I reckon to graft different chillies onto one tree. Really got me thinking now. I am going to have a go at it me thinks. If it works for eggplants and tomatoes I cant see why it wouldnt work for chillies/peppers. I am going to have to go down to my tree and take some cuttings and pot them up.

Hi Sluggy,

Unfortunately, grafting one pepper type onto another pepper rootstock will not cause any genetic material to flow from one pepper plant to the other.

Plants that are slow growing, or plants with a less hardy rootstock are sometimes grafted onto hardy, vigorous rootstock plants(read plants that will successfully accept the grafts), in order to speed up the growth of a desirable but slower growing plant.

Hardy rootstock plants, that can handle colder climates also are chosen to have desirable but less hardy plants grafted onto them.

dvg

Thx for the info dvg,

I experimented with grafting branches last year.. All but ONE failed.
The one that worked (Haba/Jolokia combo) DID successfully ittach itself to the "host" for a few months but then ALL my plats died in a latter of days for reasons I can only guess at.

They are supertough , my one live through the pipes bursting and not being watered for a week of 40 degree+ days. I have 3 bores/wells at the front of my property that water 50 acres as well as pump up to the house tank so that I can water the 5 acres around the house. Thats why the house garden survived the burst pipe.The Devil plant is only in a 300mm pot but has grown 10' tall. I will take better care of it now.
Going down the front now so will get some pics of my raggedy specimen.

A few pics of my sad specimen. You can see how tall it was before the pipe burst. But it has regrown really well.

IMG_0911.jpg

These are the spikes up the trunk

IMG_0912.jpg

Some of the leaves
IMG_0914.jpg

The top of one stem

IMG_0917.jpg

More spikes
IMG_0918.jpg

Back