New Coffee Grinder

Well I have been trying to look at some new coffee grinders to find one that I can use for making powders this year. I cant seem to find one that fits what I am looking for yet. I don't want to spend to much, anything under $50 would be nice. I want a removable cup/bowl and be able to select how fine I want my powder. Im assuming MOST of what I do I will want to be really fine but who knows maybe sometime I may want flakes instead. I also dont want something so cheap that I will be replacing after every season and will serve me well. I have been looking on amazon and have found some really good looking units for $25 that go for $55 normally. Any help or model suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I purchased the DeLonghi KG49 with 3 settings.

Product Features
Electric grinder holds up to 3 ounces of ground coffee at a time
Durable stainless-steel blade; course, medium, or fine grind settings
One-touch push-button control; automatic safety system
Removable ground-coffee container; cleaning brush included
Measures 5 by 4-2/7 by 9 inches; 1-year limited warranty

Works great, easy cleanup etc..... you can get em for around $40.00

First off, if you are planning to grind more than one type of coffee or more than coffee (spices, herbs), then you want to avoid plastic in the grind chamber. Plastic is very porous and will absorb flavor/oils very easily. You'll soon end up with coffee that tastes like peppers, per se. So a metal grind chamber will help there. Now, if you want a consistent (the grind comes out all the same, and doesn't very in the final outcome) and/or fine grind , you will probably need to spend more than $50. This is because all cheap coffee makers usually use a blade, which isn't very efficient. For a consistent grind, a burr grinder would suit you best. The thing is, a decent burr grinder will run you AT LEAST $100.

I bought a cheap Hamilton Beach one at Wal-mart for about $15 and it works great. It grinds everything to a very fine powder(if that's what you want, there are 4 or 5 settings). I use it for dried chiles, coffee, peppercorns, cumin, oatmeal, etc. I use it all the time and never had any problems. The only downside is it doesn't hold a lot at a time. I might look to buy a bigger one this summer for more convenience if I'm going to be grinding a ton of powder...

If you want to avoid the dust cloud that comes with a coffee grinder grab your blender pitcher and remove the bottom with the blades and screw on a mason jar. Works for me without the sneezing.

First off, if you are planning to grind more than one type of coffee or more than coffee (spices, herbs), then you want to avoid plastic in the grind chamber. Plastic is very porous and will absorb flavor/oils very easily. You'll soon end up with coffee that tastes like peppers, per se. So a metal grind chamber will help there. Now, if you want a consistent (the grind comes out all the same, and doesn't very in the final outcome) and/or fine grind , you will probably need to spend more than $50. This is because all cheap coffee makers usually use a blade, which isn't very efficient. For a consistent grind, a burr grinder would suit you best. The thing is, a decent burr grinder will run you AT LEAST $100.

Chico is spot on regarding the plastic absorbing flavors/oils. I have an old unit that I had to dedicate to making my rubs.
save the panet... it's the only one with peppers.

I've been very happy with our Cuisinart 'Grind Central'.

It has a good-sized removable bowl, that is dishwasher safe.

This grinder has good power and has been used to grind dried peppers in the past, but mostly it is just used for grinding coffee beans, and this is the best grinder for that purpose that we've used so far.

dvg

Well I guess I'm in the market for a new coffee grinder now, since my roommate broke mine today. We were grinding up oatmeal after our workout for protein shakes and somehow he broke the top part. I used it over 100 times without any problems, he uses it once and breaks it. :rolleyes:

lucky for me Im not a typical coffee drinker. I just get the occasional Caribou when I need it so one grinder in my house hold would be plenty.:D

lucky for me Im not a typical coffee drinker. I just get the occasional Caribou when I need it so one grinder in my house hold would be plenty.:D

Hum, one grinder for peppers and coffee well, that could give a whole new meaning to the pharse "a hot cup of joe" :mouthonfire:

If you want to avoid the dust cloud that comes with a coffee grinder grab your blender pitcher and remove the bottom with the blades and screw on a mason jar. Works for me without the sneezing.
+1
I agree 100%
I spent/wasted close to $60 for a Cuisinart Burr coffee grinder that simply does give me the results I can get with the Mason jar and a blender.(and no pepper dust/fumes)

Maybe I will try the mason jar first since those are cheep and I need them anyway for canning. So when you guys do it that way you don't end up with any big chunks or anything just a nice fine powder huh?

I just now understood what you guys were talking about with the mason jar on the blender trick...absolutely brilliant! I didn't even know you could unscrew the pitcher form the blade fixture! I just tried it with a mason jar, and it fits like a glove!

Half pint gets good small batch and finer. I start everything in a quart jar(just finished my large jar of instant coffee and it will work so I have bigger now) and after 5-10 minutes I open and put some in half pint jars to get it finer. I like starting with a big jar so I can fit a bunch of peppers and varieties in there.

Very cool. Cant wait. I think this is what I will be doing to make my powders. :D Thanks for all the help.

Back