• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Kaleidoscope

Like the title says, who has grown them and what are your thoughts on both growth and flavor? Are they an annum or a baccatum? I've seen sources that say either.

If it is the same one I have, it is C. baccatum var. pendulum. I'm yet to grow them myself.

My seed source says this is the one.

Chiliman says, in a rather abbreviated entry, that it's an annum. Mine is already budding out, along with other annums...

So I was just curious. It's a really early baccatum if it is one. Which I won't complain about!

The ones I'm growing are baccatum. No heat and really nice flavor.

DSC_0019.jpg

Thanks Toby, i got my seeds from Redtail and he says his are Baccatum so it seems mine will be just like yours! Happy days!

Mine are definitely the baccatum. I had a pic somewhere in my tiny grow thread. I'll try and dig them up, but you get the idea with Tonly's pic.

I love these things. They're sweeter than bell peppers, 10X more prolific (especially in my climate), and they seem to have survived the summer decently thus far. I lost some leaves, but also got fruit set (three peppers - but that's not bad comparatively) and expect to get another nice flush here this fall.

I plan on growing a bunch of them next year as bell pepper replacements. Only thing you can't do with them easily is stuff them. Otherwise, they're better.

Two thumbs up from me.

I've only met two baccatums (out of a about 20) that I haven't liked. Love the species. Love how well they do in the heat.

Just had another fresh one of these tonight. Has to be one of the sweetest peppers I've ever tasted. Can't say enough nice things about them.

Gotta bump this for more exposure for these things. Just had a raw one for lunch. Should've had it for dessert. That's how sweet they are. For Jimmy Nardello's lovers, you'll get a similar (or maybe better) brix, with slightly thicker walls and a juicy, satisfying crunch.

Possibly the best sweet pepper I have ever had. They roast up pretty nicely, too.

Back