• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

French Vanilla Hab Ice Cream

Well, I've wanted to do this for some time and finally got around to it. I JUST finished my first batch of Franillab ice-cream. I made a basic French Vanilla ice-cream from a recipe in the Kitchenaid ice-cream mixer book, but I chopped up 6 orange habs and put them into the cream as it was being heated.

6 Diced habs next to the 8" Shun chefs knife I got as an early b-day present :)

icecream010.jpg

Heating the half and half cream and hab in pot before mixing in the sugar, eggs in the stand mixer

icecream011.jpg

The mixture was cooled overnight then put into the ice-cream mixer bowl and set to stir for 15-20 minutes

icecream015.jpg

Removed from mixer bowl and put into freezer container. It's in the freezer now so it becomes more than melted soft serve ice-cream

icecream017.jpg

It's got a nice initial vanilla flavor that transitions into heat, then into a really mild hab flavor. It'd be great with a little chocolate syrup on it :)

That looks really good love the idea of mixing hot and cold together. For some reason I have the taste of a push-up pop right now and my saliva is pumping. Tastee Freeze flavor of the month.

Wonderful :onfire:

Time to buy an ice cream mixer, haven't made it fresh in years.

BTW thats a great knife. Got a set of Shun's last year.

Thanks guys. It's pretty strange. You get the cold then the heat. Then you think, "I'll get rid of the burn with a bite of this nice cold ice-cream... oh wait..." Check out the chunk of hab peeking out of the chocolate. It wasn't nearly this hot when it was still a liquid.

franillabicecream001.jpg

Me love the shun long time! It's crazy sharp, really well balanced and slices though everything with very little effort. I'd LOVE to have a set.

Oh chocolate cayenne would be great. I don't particularly care for the flavor of habs, but the heat sure is nice. Chocolate with a touch of heat is a match made in heaven.

very nice. might have to try that myself - i know that i've got an ice cream maker somewhere in the basement.

Back