• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Using dish detergent

Hi everybody!!! I was wondering. Does spraying my plants with some dish liquid detergent for killing the aphids, affect the flowers from the plant?? I mean will the flowers die if sprayed with the solution??? Thank you !!!

Hi everybody!!! I was wondering. Does spraying my plants with some dish liquid detergent for killing the aphids, affect the flowers from the plant?? I mean will the flowers die if sprayed with the solution??? Thank you !!!

You have to be very careful when using dish detergents on plants as they can contain harsh chemicals that may kill your plant, use a liquid soap that contains potassium salts of fatty acids like Safer's or Natrasoap.

Cascade brand. I mix it with listerine, garlic barrier, and pyrethrin concentrate.

Not heavy duty effective but helpful. I failed to mention Neem oil.

Mike

here's a couple other home remedies posted around here-
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/20048-homemade-bug-sprays/page__p__420619__hl__remedy__fromsearch__1#entry420619

We went all last year with nary a one aphid. This year~ AAARRRRGHH! both on the overwinter plants and on the new sprouts.

We will be trying this real soon. Hope it helps... because we definitely need it this year. :eek:

Do not use detergents they will burn your plants, use only dish soap Ivory,Murphy's and some others, I use 1 tbsp to the qt of water with neem oil aphids gone. does not hurt blossoms

Good Point HawaiiAl. Maligator suffered some last year after making that mistake on his plants.

After some little "suckers" showed up I went looking for Ivory soap and the only thing our local store carried was- IVORY Concentrated Dishwashing Liquid.

Anyone care to venture an opinion of whether it's the original Ivory Soap (concentrated) or a detergent?

nope, it never hurt my plants. i shade the plants before soaping them down. i soaped this plant with flowers one week before i noticed some pods.

Back