• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Spicy Boiled P-Nuts

Stopped by the market for some stuff and i always need some raw peanuts to boil, but this time a handfull of the hot dried Asian peppers crushed up, salt,garlic, and some other spices thrown in for goot measure, should be done by tonight... :dance:

There gettin goot, Paully, these aren't the green goobers that are kinda slimy, these are just raw that you could roast if ya want to. I personally don't care for the green boiled pnuts...

Hey, if you're boiling up some peanuts, try a little trick I learned from a roadside vendor in the holler.
They threw dried chilis and chunks of dill pickles in the boil.
The dill pickles give it a wonderful flavor. Maybe 6 whole dills for a 2 gallon pot of peanuts, along with your chilis. The pickles disintegrate and make the brine amazing!

I know they're not for everyone, but when they're done right, boiled peanuts are amazing.
I even love 'em out of a can...guilty pleasure.

Boy this all sounds really good, never tried it, but would give it a go!
I'll check back later, maybe there might be some pics of the finished product!!

I know they're not for everyone, but when they're done right, boiled peanuts are amazing.
+1!
When I dont cook em myself or hit tha local veggie stand!
I always keep a can in tha pantry!! :dance:
I even love the green peanuts! I will try the pickles ,that sounds good!

Kevin

Boiled peanuts may be the nastiest invention in the history of food.

:shocked:

I simply can't believe you Paul...boiled peanuts may be the manna from heaven mentioned in the bible...and I thought you had a discerning palate...

I will not pass up a roadside boiled peanut place....unless I already have some in the truck...

Hum, pickles? I may have to try that. I usually use some Old Bay crab boil and add some quartered Habs for some heat.

Edit: and don't forget your paper sacks!

I simply can't believe you Paul...boiled peanuts may be the manna from heaven mentioned in the bible...and I thought you had a discerning palate...

My *second* ex-wife is from South Carolina, and apparently they're requred by law to eat the darn things over there....

She stopped at a roadside stand and bought a big "thing" of them and her and her kids munched on them while me and my kids were forced to watch in complete horror.

You pop it in your mouth thinking it's gonna be a yummy, crunchy peanut......

.....and it turns out to be a squishy, slimy, soggy........SOMETHING. :eek:

eeew.

well, I have been boiling peanuts all year and decided to post a couple of pics since I am boiling 2 pounds today..

Here are my ingredients:

I use a mixture as you can see...about 3/4 cup salt, 3/4 of of the Zatarans Creole, 6 capfulls of the Zatarans Crab boil, about 2 tablespoons Old Bay, and about 3 tablespoons of the stuff in the quart jar - trinidad scorpion chunks, and a fresh scorpion not shown...all this is in about 2 gallons of water...

IMG_0858.jpg

got it almost boiling now..you can see the scorpion pieces floating...

IMG_0860.jpg

and after the peanuts have boiled for an hour...

IMG_0861.jpg

I will boil these for several hours and won't start the peanuts until they have been boiled for two hours...will post a pic and comment on the heat and taste in about an hour or so...I tasted the mixture a few minutes ago and these are gonna be pretty fiery...

..not as much fun as cooking outside on a big ole fire,
but a slow cooker does a pretty good job on peanuts..
plus you can keep em warm...

Back