• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds How long do seeds really stay viable for?

I can find some "official" answers to this with an internet search, but want to hear from members who have been growing and saving seeds for years.

Whether buying commercial seeds, or trading for seeds, or saving your own and properly drying and storing, how many years can they remain viable? What are some of the oldest seeds that members have sprouted and grown? I am growing a Jwala from a seed that was part of a packet purchased in late May, 2009. In my brief growing experience, these were the oldest seeds that I have been able to sprout. They stayed in the original packaging, which was stored in a large brown folder. The seeds that I trade for or collect myself are stored in clear Zip-locks, and kept in brown folders as well.

How does this science really work? Do I lose some % of germination rate each year, or if properly stored, can the seeds remain viable for many years?

As long as they're kept away from light, moisture, and extreme temperatures, they can last for years. I would say 5 years is a good limit to put on yourself, but they can remain good for ages. Ziplock bags are great storage but I wouldn't rely on them for too many years. Just keep them dry, dark, and in a slightly cool area and you'll be fine.

I've germinated seeds that are over 2 years old that were just stored in my garage in the original paper packages. And my garage gets really cold and a lil wet.

I have Cancun Habanero seeds that are over 10yrs old that still sprout.

I've got a plant growing right now from them.

It might be that specific varieties of peppers have different shelf lifes though.

For me wild stuff has to be pretty fresh -couple years old max.-or I have to plant a lot of seeds to get any plants that survive.

Older seeds for some stuff seems to have more stuck shells,hooks rot etc.

Some seeds seem to last forever though.

I sprouted lots of 10 year old seeds but germination rates were quite low. I've heard they can last ten times longer if frozen

i have gathered that most peppers will only keep at room temp for 3-4 years. The exception is the pubes group of Manzano and Rocoto which have black seeds and thicker seed coats can last 4-6 years but if you are to store them in a good ziplock bag with a strip of newspaper or a moisture control humidity strip in the fridge you can keep them longer 5-10 years i have read that after 21 years of storing in the fridge they still had exelent germination.

The old seeds I started were not stored in any special way, just open packages thrown in a box in the closet for 10 years. Seeds will easily last 5 years, most of my seed collection is older than that and I rarely have any germination problems.

So far I haven't needed to freeze seeds but thats how the huge seed banks preserve seeds, although I think liquid nitrogen may be used in that process

My dad saved seeds from a large green bell back in '05 or '06 that he bought at the grocery store. I had 5 of the 6 seeds I planted germinate this season. They are stored in a small ziplock bag in a box with desiccant packs. Those seeds are only a few years old but I figured I would share.

I forgot where I read this but the New Mex 6-4 had seeds that were discovered recently that were from the late 40s used to create the new mex heritage. so my guess is at least 50 years.

They weren't discovered recently. The heritage strain was grown out from original NM 6-4 seed that had been cryogenically frozen in a seed bank. Paul Bosland grew them out from the seed bank seed because the NM 6-4 had become run down and lost it zip and flavor. Most of us don't have the ability to cryogenically freeze our seeds, so 50 years isn't realistic for most gardeners. I'd guesstimate 5-10 years if they are stored properly. I have several plants this year from 2006 seeds.

I forgot where I read this but the New Mex 6-4 had seeds that were discovered recently that were from the late 40s used to create the new mex heritage. so my guess is at least 50 years.

They weren't discovered recently. The heritage strain was grown out from original NM 6-4 seed that had been cryogenically frozen in a seed bank. Paul Bosland grew them out from the seed bank seed because the NM 6-4 had become run down and lost it zip and flavor. Most of us don't have the ability to cryogenically freeze our seeds, so 50 years isn't realistic for most gardeners. I'd guesstimate 5-10 years if they are stored properly. I have several plants this year from 2006 seeds.

You don't have a cryo freezer get with the times ahaha. But yes I forgot that part.

I'm currently trying to germinate a Habanero White Bullet from seeds from 2006 or 2007.
So far it's not going as I planned.

Hope you guys are right and that they just take a little while longer to germinate than fresh seeds ...

Bleash

I'm currently trying to germinate a Habanero White Bullet from seeds from 2006 or 2007.
So far it's not going as I planned.

Hope you guys are right and that they just take a little while longer to germinate than fresh seeds ...

Bleash
White habaneros have been hard to germinate for me period. That's with two separate attempts from two different seed sources.

They'll need steady warmth and plenty of patience.

Back