• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

harvesting Today's Harvest

Harvest742007_3768.jpg

The tomatoes are Brandy Boy, Black Cherry, Box Car Wille, Abraham Lincoln, and Mule team. I ate the yellow current tomatoes while I was picking all the others.

The peppers are Limon, Granada Seasoning,Cherry Chocolate, Criolla Sella, Sheepnose Pimento, and Fruit Basket. The basil is from my endless supply of Lemon Basil.

The plant dangling a few unripe peppers enticingly over the edge there is the Criolla Sella.

looking good pam, congrats on the harvest.
I wish I had some ripe chiles, instead I had to sacrifice some green kung pao chiles for supper tonight, I picked those because they still taste decent when green.

Thanks y'all, for the kind words.

gardenkiller, it's a Criolla Sella, a nice fruity baccatuum.

Lookin' good Pam. So what will you be doing with this harvest other than eating fresh? and what are the cherry chocolates like? They look like cascabels.

excellent! i have lots of peppers on the plants, only a few turning ripe though. harvest for me is at least a week or more away. enjoy what your labor has brought.

That's just cruel. :hot:
I had a bland greenhouse "vine ripe" my @ss crappy tomato sandwich for lunch!
I'm so jealous .....
Maybe in a month I'll get to eat a real tomato.

POTAWIE said:
Lookin' good Pam. So what will you be doing with this harvest other than eating fresh?

I chopped the Limon and Criolla Sella peppers and used them to spice up the barbecue sauce I used on the ribs. I made some pico de gallo to take to work tomorrow with some the Grenada Seasoning peppers. (Since I'll be sharing, I wanted to use mild peppers.) I had a tomato sandwich for lunch, and will have one tomorrow. And I gave a few tomatoes, Criolla Sellas, and Fruit Basket peppers to the neighbors.
(You can buy a lot of good karma with a few home grown tomatoes, and I'm going to need some help fixing the belt on my dryer}

And I stuffed the cherry chocolates with goat cheese, onion, and lemon basil and grilled them.

and what are the cherry chocolates like? They look like cascabels.

They're a pretty typical cherry pepper. Not too hot, but great for grilling, and I do love stuffing and grilling peppers. I think I would grill stuffed peppers every night this time of year if I had the time. I can always ramp up the heat by chopping a hotter pepper into the stuffing. I get mine from Cross Country.
http://www.chileplants.com/search.asp?CategoryID=1,9&Keyword=CHERRY CHOCOLATE&SearchButton=Pressed

I am now relaxing with an excellent Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter, which I suppose I'll get around to reviewing tomorrow. Too mellow right now.

razyrsharpe said:
excellent! i have lots of peppers on the plants, only a few turning ripe though. harvest for me is at least a week or more away. enjoy what your labor has brought.

If it makes you feel better, the Grenada Seasoning peppers are from a plant I over-wintered. The others are from early varieties.

habman said:
That's just cruel. :hot:
I had a bland greenhouse "vine ripe" my @ss crappy tomato sandwich for lunch!
I'm so jealous .....
Maybe in a month I'll get to eat a real tomato.

Muhuhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

There is nothing like a real tomato.

There is nothing like a real tomato.

....and nothing says summer like homegrown tomatoes! That's a great looking harvest there, Pam-and it's only the beginning of July. How early do you start your chiles and when do you usually set them out? Your last frost date must be a few weeks before ours (end of April).
b

setzuanfire said:
....and nothing says summer like homegrown tomatoes! That's a great looking harvest there, Pam-and it's only the beginning of July. How early do you start your chiles and when do you usually set them out? Your last frost date must be a few weeks before ours (end of April).
b

Our usual plant-out date is the first of April, but we had a late freeze this year, and it was almost the end of April before I got most of the peppers in the ground. It was just a very cool spring. When I plant, I mix some Tomato-tone, approximately a tablespoon of Epsom Salt into the soil, then sprinkle a bit of cuprous sulfate on the surface. They usually take off like gangbusters.

That being said, remember that I said the Grenada Seasoning pepper I overwintered, it's 3 now. I would probably have had even more peppers off of it, but it developed a zinc deficiency shortly after I brought it outside.

The Fruit Basket is a very small plant, so I was able to get them in hanging baskets and keep them under lights inside when the temperature dropped.

Back