• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Brandon's Pepper Operation 2011

Hello Everyone, I'm from western Washington and this is my 4th year growing hot peppers, and my first year growing super hots. This year has been FULL of rain.. So. I bought 2 8X6 greenhouses from Lowes. I figured there's no way my plants would produce the way the weathers been.. It's a 20degree difference rain,cloud or shine. I have great shade cloth to cover them from afternoon sun incase the weather is above 75 which has happened once so far this year:( here's some pictures..

1hrxx0.jpg

148ejkg.jpg
[/img]

Here's the inside of one of them.. These pepper plants I bought from Jim Duffy. I ran out of time to start some superhot seeds so my last resort was online shopping and I'm very happy to have found them online. They are not as big as I'd like them to be at his stage in the year but I'm planning to overwinter so any progress with them will make me happy :)

bgvazp.jpg
[/img]

My other greenhouse is housing 2 fataliis, red scotch, thai dragon, ring of fire cayenne, serrano del sol, lemon drop, carribean red hab, hab, long slim cayenne, and a chocolate hab. They are much bigger than the super hots, my cayenne has 5 huge pods already, along with my scotch, cay slim, and the fataliis have a good 20 blooms on each plant. I looked up my photos from 3 years ago and my current plants are still FAR behind what they were doing when the sun was out then..

2dioh9h.jpg

I'm also growing raspberries, golden raspberries, 4 heirloom tomatoes, 5types of strawberries, herbs, 5 types of honeysuckle, 5types of rare passion flowers, 10 clematis's, cherries, onions, garlic, blueberries, gooseberries, lace vine and 5 types of lily's. I've been busy lol.

24qn9df.jpg
[/img]

I have a couple questions.. its my first year greenhousin and I was wondering if anyone had tips on that and secondly, because the weather around here has been $%$%@*%*/... I'm wondering what are the best lights to use to keep them growing when October comes along.. The Ghouse's will fit in my garage and I'd like to hang lights in there come first frost to keep them somewhat healthy and producing..(I'm really doubting their production this summer judging by the weather so far) Grow lights are something I am NOT familiar with so I would really appreciate advice from those whom have used em.. thank you for your time, Brandon.

If you want to move em indoors I'd buy a setup which would include a high pressure sodium bulb. Hydrofarm sells numerous reflectors, ballasts etc...

Nice!!
If the weather around here doesn't improve soon I might have to follow your lead.
Thanks for the pics!!

Nice!! I have been trying to talk the misses into a greenhouse for a while now, its still a no go.

You just gotta convince her how much it will improve her quality of life. Outdoor year round tanning bed, fresh food year round, happy husband, educational for the kids, possibly even extra income (yeah right).

Great! - Love the variety. If you don't mind me asking, what do those greenhouses cost from Lowes?....that's a great idea, I may have to do something similar since we're having yet another weird Summer here in WI.

Nice!!
If the weather around here doesn't improve soon I might have to follow your lead.
Thanks for the pics!!

200 bucks.. and even if it does turn around for ya you'll have more chilies and bigger pods! Ha. You're welcome for the pics, anytime. Good luck to ya on your grow year!

Great! - Love the variety. If you don't mind me asking, what do those greenhouses cost from Lowes?....that's a great idea, I may have to do something similar since we're having yet another weird Summer here in WI.

Thank you! Sure you saw the lowe's link below.. I was skeptical at first, 200 a piece and UV protected plastic, 4 windows, two doors, I've kept the doors shut so no insects will cross pollinate the plants so my seeds will be pure next year :) They've worked out GREAT so far, I highly recommend them.

Nice!! I have been trying to talk the misses into a greenhouse for a while now, its still a no go.

Ha! try my technique.. my misses said no way. So... I just showed up one day after work with em! She was a bit T'd off and gave me the BRANNNDONNN YOU DIDNT! speech. She forgot about it in a couple days :) Even checks out the pepper plants now!

If you want to move em indoors I'd buy a setup which would include a high pressure sodium bulb. Hydrofarm sells numerous reflectors, ballasts etc...

Your comment got me to that site which actually had a list of hydro/grow stores in the area, one 5 min away from my house! Ill be there next day off. Thx a mil

Back