• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Hopes of A Chilli / Tomato Plant cross

Hi Guys,

Ive grown hundreds of different varieties of Chilli plants over the years but Id never come across anything as weird some of the plant which have sprung up this year.

The plants came from seed taken from pods of a Jamacian Red Hot plant (a Chinense) which grew in the middle of my Tomato plants last year (or so I thought). Although Tomato & Chillis are from the same botanical family (Solanaceae or nightshade family) I had never heard of them crossing before and was getting kinda excited thinking I created some kind of cross.

The plant appeared to share some of the charactertics of the apparent parent plant having 'Tomato like' leaves but 'chilli plant like' flowers & pods. All very weird. I have 4 plants all of which are growing like wild fire and are loaded with pods. Here are some pictures:

The Plant (some specimens are nearly 3ft high)

Plant1_1.jpg

Leaf_1.jpg

The Flowers (note the chinense like multiple nodes but white flowers - tomato plants normally have yellow flowers)

Flowers2_1.jpg

The pods (these are tepin size small spherical pods some of which are starting to ripen to black!)

Pods2_1.jpg

Unforunately it turns out it is from the Solanaceae family, but unfortuantely its Solanum nigrum or Black Nightshade and its the berries are poisonous, at least while they are green. Oh well, theres always next year.

it would be kinda cool to see a cross between a chile & a tomato, it'd be strange but it'd one of those things you'd just want to try (eat) of course a edible kind.

Black Nightshade is only poisonous in large doses. In small doses they are used to treat many ailments including liver enlargement and to help counteract aging.

imaguitargod said:
Black Nightshade is only poisonous in large doses. In small doses they are used to treat many ailments including liver enlargement and to help counteract aging.

Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for that?

gardenkiller said:
Not that I don't believe you, but do you have a source for that?

Hm, I'd be interested, too, because all my books mention it as a purgative, but not for the liver.

imaguitargod said:

'cause if you eat them you won't age anymore :P

chilliman64 said:
a tomato/chile cross would be (IMHO) the greatest hybrid ever!

yea no shit :D just imagine that'd be the only plant you'd need to grow for making salsa :lol: that just aint right! but it'd still be a very cool plant to grow & eat.

Back