• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Freezing fresh peppers

Hey everyone, I got a question. I tried doing a search but a couple hundred results came up. Can you freeze fresh picked chilis? I've only got about 12 plants (yellow bhuts, choc bhuts, reg bhuts, 7 pods, habs, cayennes, naga morich, and scorps) they are producing more fruit than I can eat/use before they start going bad. Can I put them in a ziplock freezer bag and freeze them? Also if I do that, will that make them lose any of the heat / flavor? Sorry if it's a dumb question but this is my first year growing any type of chilis.

Thanks,
Vincent

Yes you can freeze them. They will keep all of the flavor, the only thing is that they will be softer when you thaw them out. I always have a bunch of frozen ones that I save for cooking meals when the crispness doesn't matter.

I freeze hundreds. I rinse then take the caps off and in the freezer for a few hours then into vacuum bags and back in the freezer for storage. Frozen right into the blender for sauce and they puree perfect.

I freeze hundreds. I rinse then take the caps off and in the freezer for a few hours then into vacuum bags and back in the freezer for storage. Frozen right into the blender for sauce and they puree perfect.

(+1) thats the way I do it, freeze'em whole, use them as I need them but cutting them open making sure there are no nasties on the innards, then cooking them up... also could de-hydrate them in an oven, or clean out a gallon pickle jar and fill with vinegar , peppers, garlic, onions, etc and either use the pickled veg, or what I do is use the spiced vinegar in a hot sauce recipe.

Taking the cap off before freezing allows me to see ANY bug holes. I found in the past that bugs like to make holes under the cap.

Awesome, thanks guys for the info. I'd like to get into making some sauces for myself and friends, I just have to find a good decent recipe and I haven't had time to do that yet

I was thinking about putting them in the freezer until i had the amount i wanted to ferment. Will freezing effect fermenting them in anyway?

Back