I've been meaning to put this up for a bit. I've made two batches of this using what burpee sold as "Hot Lemon Peppers," I think they are also Lemon Drop peppers. Anyway, the heat carries through nicely. This is just a tweak off a hot pepper jelly recipe found in the Ball Blue Book on canning.
Aji Lemon Jelly
- 3/4 lb. Hot Lemon peppers stems and seeds removed
- 2 pouches of liquid pectin (I used Certo)
- 2 cups of Lemon juice, divided
- yellow food coloring (optional)
- 6 cups of sugar
- puree peppers and one cup of the lemon juice in a food processor.
- Combine the puree, the remaining cup of lemon juice and the sugar in a large saucepot (make it big enough to avoid boiling over).
- Bring to a boil. Boil 10 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add liquid pectin
- Bring back to a boil and boil 1 minute, stirring constantly
- Remove from heat. Add a few drops of food coloring.
- Ladle into hot jars
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath
Here's a shot of processing the aji lemon peppers:
Here is the lemon pepper, lemon juice, sugar cooking before pectin was added:
And the finished product on the right:
And if you liked this recipe, check out my Peach Habanero jelly, Hot Cherry-Currant jelly, or Black Scorpion jelly!
Edited by Pulpiteer, 07 July 2015 - 10:08 PM.