• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Harry's 2011/2012 Grow Log

It's time for my first grow log.

Season Starts
Capsicum Annuum:
  • Aci Sivri
  • Ebony Fire
  • NotFluorescent NotPurple
  • Goat's Weed
  • Jalapeño Not Mild
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Cristal
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Bishop's Hat
  • Brazilian Starfish
Capsicum Chinense:
  • Beni Highlands
  • Bahamian Goat Pepper
  • Habanero, Chocolate
  • NotHabanero, Peach
  • Jamaican Hot Chocolate
  • Limon (2 sources)
  • Moruga Red
  • Scotch Bonnet TFM
  • Seven Pot (Jonah?)
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • Manzano, Yellow (cutting)
  • Rocoto, Orange
Capsicum hybrid:
  • NotBhut Jolokia, NotWhite
  • NotScarlet NotLantern
List Updates:
  • 2011-12-23 - NotLimo NotBlanco tagged as a Not since everything about it screams Annuum.
  • 2011-12-25 - Tiny plant in the garden identified as Aji Omnicolor by leaf structure and first flower open this day.
  • 2012-02-01 - 1/2 Brazilian Starfish reclassified as a Not
  • 2012-02-12 - NotBhut Jolokia, NotWhite reclassified as a Not.
  • 2012-05-09 - NotBrazilian NotStarfish disposed some time ago.
  • 2012-05-09 - NotLimo NotBlanco and 1/2 NotWhite NotBhut on the way out.
Over wintered plants
Capsicum Annuum:
  • Hungarian Hot Wax
  • Jalapeño Fire(less) Eater
  • Jamaican Yellow
  • Rainbow
  • Rainbow x Jalapeño Not Mild
Capsicum Baccatum:
  • Aji Amarillo
  • Aji Omnicolor
  • Inca Red Drop
Capsicum Chinense:
  • Bhut Jolokia, Chocolate
  • Caribbean Red
  • Datil
  • Fatalii
  • Habanero, Orange
  • Habanero, White
  • Maraba Yellow
  • Naga Morich
  • Seven Not, Yellow
  • Trinidad Scorpion
Capsicum Pubescens:
  • NotLocato, NotPI387838
  • Manzano, Yellow
  • Rocoto, Orange
List Updates:
  • 2012-02-01 - Disposed of Not Brazilian Starfish that in hindsight would have better not been classified as another Bishop's Hat.
  • 2012-02-01 - Disposed of Not Scarlet Lantern last week.
  • 2012-05-09 - Bishop's Hat disposed some time ago.
  • 2012-05-09 - Jalapeño Not Mild died some time ago.
Now some hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Best NotLocato, NotLocato, Brazilian Starfish
Row2: NotLimo NotBlanco, 1st NotLocato Flower, 1st NotLocato Flower
Row3: 1st 2 NotLocato Fruits Set, Habanero, 1st NotLocato Pod

I'll post the rest of the photos after somebody else replies or in a day or so if time frame for post merging expires.

The NotLocato plants pictured above are bucking the Capsicum Pubescens trend and out performing plants belonging to other species of Capsicum.

Updated on 20 Oct 2013 to prefix the remaining Nots.
Updated on 21 Jan 2013 to prefix the Nots.

SuperHot said:
Nice plants and they all look really happy!!
Killer list too!!
Thanks, I have some more photos below.

The Datil back in early October was nice and compact. It has since turned into a bit of a monster.

Next 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Early August Starts1, Datil, 1st Trinidad Scorpion Pod
Row2: Season Starts, Foliage Comparison, Fatalii Pod
Row3: Young Pot Ups2, Seedlings3, NotLimo NotBlanco

1 Top: 2 Brazilian Starfish; Centre: Peach NotHabanero; Bottom: 2 Goat's Weeds
2 From left. 1st Column: Peach NotHabanero, Peach NotHabanero, NotLimo NotBlanco; 2nd Column: NotWhite NotBhut, NotWhite NotBhut, Scotch Bonnet TFM; 3rd Column: Aji Amarillo, Beni Highlands, Beni Highlands; 4th Column: Limón, Limón; 5th Column: Limón, Limón.
3 Middle Row: Chocolate Hab, Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion, Seven Pot + NotFluorescent NotPurple, Aji Cristal, Bishop's Hat, Bishop's Hat; Bottom Row: Scotch Bonnet TFM, Jamaican Hot Chocolate, Bahamian Goat Pepper, Moruga Red or Hot Lemon, Hot Lemon, Failed to Germinate

Updated on 20 Oct 2013 to prefix the remaining Nots.
Updated on 29 Jun 2013 to prefix the Nots.

Third set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Trinidad Scorpion, Datil, Fatalii
Row2: 1st NotLocato Pod, 1st 2 NotLocato Pods, Trinidad Scorpion Runt
Row3: Starts except Goat's Weeds1, Seven Not, 1st NotLocato pod 5.5 cm long

1Row1: NotWhite NotBhut, Limón, Aji Cristal, Aji Cristal, Scotch Bonnet TFM; Row2: NotFluorescent NotPurple, Beni Highlands, Beni Highlands, Limón, Limón; Row3: Limón, NotHabanero Peach, NotHabanero Peach, Habanero Chocolate, NotWhite NotBhut.

A highlight of this set of photos was the first NotLocato pods to ripen.

Updated 2013-10-20: Prefixed the Nots.

Very nice looking plants Harry.
I've got plants from last year podding, and a lot of this years annuums, and even a hab I planted last april podding.

From the chinense and baccatums I planted in august - october, they have just barely have the starts of buds, and aphids are tearing through them, hopefully they survive.

Fourth set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails

Row1: Habanero, Not Scarlet Lantern, 1st Limón Flower
Row2: Seven Not, Seven Not, Limó Blanco flower
Row3: Limón, White Bhut, White Bhut

The above set of photos includes the lowlight of the Seven Not. I wanted to find out what Seven Pots tasted like.

I have some ripe yellow 7 pods at the moment....taste awsome, but still have a damn good kick!! lol

Also, you got some good looking plants going there.
Whats your germination setup? Do you start them with artificial heating?

PIC 1 said:
Pretty exciting! Nice looking pods and plants.

Greg
Thanks, I wish there were more pods though.

Pablo_h said:
Very nice looking plants Harry.
I've got plants from last year podding, and a lot of this years annuums, and even a hab I planted last april podding.

From the chinense and baccatums I planted in august - october, they have just barely have the starts of buds, and aphids are tearing through them, hopefully they survive.
The Annuum plants among my list seem to do well without too much attention. Though the Hungarian Hot Wax strain I have produces lower yields than I'd like. I had to use a pod early after finding it was damaged. I'm not all that impressed with how my Goat's Weed are handling the local conditions.

The Aji Cristal plants lived up to their reputation of being a faster maturing Baccatum variety. Both plants are in bloom and both have tiny pods. In respect to the over wintered Baccatum varieties I have ripening pods on the Aji Omnicolor and the Bishop's Hat plants are loaded with developing pods. The Bishop's Hat starts now have developing flower buds despite my neglect for them and their reputation for being a longer season Baccatum.

The ants are ramping up their aphid farming activities. I had to spray one of the Limón plants and one of the Hungarian Hot Wax plants after finding aphid mega farms. I've learnt that the Capsicum Chinense var. Limón plants are not partial to Confidor. I had treated the Aji Cristal plants earlier and had not observed any die back of the tips.

I'm trying to get my Hab to produce larger pods. Next I need to figure out how to stop some of the plants in pots (Fatalii and Maraba Yellow) from producing pods with bitter after tastes.

Shadowchilli said:
I have some ripe yellow 7 pods at the moment....taste awsome, but still have a damn good kick!! lol

Also, you got some good looking plants going there.
Whats your germination setup? Do you start them with artificial heating?
I germinated most of the seeds in a mini greenhouse in direct sunlight. The sunlight in late winter and early to mid spring was all the heat I needed. In a couple of the photos you can see the 10 mm pots on the shelf of the mini greenhouse.

The first batch of seeds (Brazilian Starfish, Goat's Weed, NotHabanero Peach) were started in zip lock bags or on paper towel inside tins. I sowed this lot after finding 1/2 NotHabanero Peach seeds and 1/2 Goat's Weed seeds had germinated.

The second batch were started on paper towel in tins (Fatalii, Scotch Bonnet TFM, NotLimo NotBlanco) and in zip lock bags (NotWhite NotBhut, Bahamian Goat Pepper). I sowed an the NotLimo NotBlanco seeds after finding one had germinated but had been afflicted by mould. I sowed the NotWhite NotBhut seeds and a Scotch Bonnet seeds after finding one of each had germinated.

I don't know if I'll bother with germinating them outside of pots again considering the plants that sprouted from treated and soaked seed that was sowed directly 10 mm pots have caught up to the earlier batches.

Updated on 21 Oct 2013 to prefix the Nots.

The plant that was meant to produce the wedge shaped bumpy red Seven Pot has a pod that is ripening to a bright yellow:

sL0ujl.jpg

Seven Not ripening to yellow (full size)

I'm racking up an impressive list of Nots.

Love your photo's Harry, some of the best on the forum. :clap: Pictures can say so much more then words.
Great photos my friend good luck with your chilli plants.
Thanks, the plants are now recovering from a scorcher of a day yesterday.

Here's an xmas day photo:
34zqk.jpg

Medium-small Fatalii pod

I ate the first half during lunch as one piece. It had a strong Chinense flavour and was very very hot. I cut up the second half into small pieces and spread it through my spaghetti and meat sauce for dinner. The pod contained only 3 seeds.

I noticed that my second Datil (first full sized pod) is ripening this afternoon. The first orange Rocoto of the season is also showing signs of ripening. The first three pods on my second Locato plant are at various stages of ripening.

I'm trying to get my Hab to produce larger pods. Next I need to figure out how to stop some of the plants in pots (Fatalii and Maraba Yellow) from producing pods with bitter after tastes.
Revisiting the topic of bitterness it seems addressing the nutrient deficiencies affecting Maraba Yellow plant #1 has resolved the bitter after taste issue. I ate 7 Maraba Yellow halves to allow for a decent sample size.

My first well formed Habanero Peach flower opened on Xmas day after the previous scorcher of a day. My first Scotch Bonnet TFM flower opened yesterday.

The Limón plant I sprayed with Confidor solution suffered damage to its young leaves and growth tips. I may have sprayed it too much on a day that was too warm. Other plants I previously treated didn't suffer the same damage.

I harvested an army of Ladybird nymphs from aphid infested coriander and commandeered them for a new mission on an aphid infested Naga Morich plant. I'll see how much of an appetite they have.

Costeve said:
Simply impressive .....
Thanks, I took some more photos today for comparison before the 40 °C heat hits.

Seventh set of 9 hyperlinked thumbnails - Pod Action

Row1: Fatalii (25 mm x 50 mm), Season Starts1, Jamaican Hot Chocolates (left) and Bahamian Goat Pepper
Row2: Trinidad Scorpion Chocolates and Biquinho (centre), Late Starts2, Goat's Weed (One of 1st 2 Pods)
Row3: NotHabanero Peach (1st Tentative Fruit), Rocoto Orange - 1st Ripening, Datil (2nd Pod)
  • 1st Column: Limón, Limón, Limón;
    2nd Column: Limón, NotWhite NotBhut #2, NotWhite NotBhut #1;
    3rd Column: Scotch Bonnet TFM, NotHabanero Peach #1, NotHabanero Peach #2;
    4th Column: Brazilian Starfish #1 Clone, Habanero Chocolate, NotFluorescent NotPurple;
    5th Column: Beni Highlands, Bishop's Hats, Bishop's Hats;
    6th Column: Beni Highlands, Aji Cristal #1, Aji Cristal #2.
  • 1st Row: Seven Pot, Scotch Bonnet TFM;
    2nd Row: Ebony Fire, Scotch Bonnet TFM, NotLimo NotBlanco;
    3rd Row: Scotch Bonnet TFM, Scotch Bonnet TFM;
    4th Row: Moruga Red, NotFluorescent NotPurple.
The Fatalii pod is currently burning its way through my digestive tract. I harvested a meagre 7 seeds from what was one of the largest pods on the plant.

The Rocoto Orange pod is taking a noticeably longer time to ripen than the NotLocato pods.

Updated on 21 Oct 2013 to prefix the Nots.

Somehow I missed your thread, harry! :shocked:

Haven't had a proper chance to look through all your photos yet but from what I've seen already, everything's looking great! :onfire:

Very professional looking thread too... the way you got your thumbnails all clustered together and stuff.

Back