• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Biointensive Gardening

PaulG

Extreme Member
John Jeavons wrote the organic gardening classic "How to Grow More Vegetables Than You can Imagine on Less Land than You thought Possible." Back in the 70's. I have been using his ideas in my garden ever since. Knowing the knowledge base contained in this forum, I'd be surprised if some of you don't already know about his work. His Biointensive method of gardening is a melding of the French Intensive and Biodynamic theories of gardening. Jeavons book is a great resource, not only of theory, but tables and charts, etc. He's been doing research on this particular method for about 40 years. I think his ideas can be adapted to anyone's system of gardening. Just posting this as a resource in case anyone's interested. His new editions contains tons of data and results from his decades of experimenting. Here are some web links:

Ecology Action Home page:

http://www.growbiointensive.org/publications_about_HTGMV.html

About Jeavons:

http://www.johnjeavons.info/john-jeavons.html

You look just like this dude...I bet John Jeavons is your pen name.
awesome.gif

jJeavons.jpg

I found the 7th ed. of that book on a bookshelf at my house a few months ago and was surprised at the wealth of info in it. It literally has everything I need to plan and maintain my garden. I thought the section on planting based on the phases of the moon was real cool; I'm definitely going to follow that this year.

Oh, Scovillain, that is just too funny :lol: . So bizarre. I wish I had his knowledge in my head!

I found the 7th ed. of that book on a bookshelf at my house a few months ago and was surprised at the wealth of info in it. It literally has everything I need to plan and maintain my garden. I thought the section on planting based on the phases of the moon was real cool; I'm definitely going to follow that this year.

I have had some good results with the lunar cycles, although I'm sometimes off schedule because I don't think about it 'til the date is past :oops: You are right about the planning - he leaves nothing to chance.

I have really used his compatibles and companion planting ideas a lot. I want to get into the crop rotation stuff a little more. Planning. Sigh.

A buddy of mine turned me on to his book and methods a few years back. Been implementing them ever since in our outdoor gardens.
Used what i learned to apply to hydroponics as well. Great Post!

A buddy of mine turned me on to his book and methods a few years back. Been implementing them ever since in our outdoor gardens.
Used what i learned to apply to hydroponics as well. Great Post!

I'm always amazed by how many folks have come across his stuff!
Glad to hear it's been successful for you.

Back