• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Question: Decreasing capsaicin sensitivity and related symptoms

I've been making more and more of my own hot sauce lately. Most times, I make it hotter than my previous batch. The last batch had a couple ghost peppers in it and while eating through a jar (with hummus and pita), I hit a big chunk of Bhut and, for me, it was REALLY hot. I had to put it down and my mouth was on fire.

For reference, the sauces I've made recently clock in roughly at the 60,000 - 80,000 Scoville unit range (estimate from ingredients, referenced commercial sauces with similar ingredients, etc.)

The next day, I decided it was time to eat something spicy again (we are a masochistic bunch, aren't we?). I went to my "medium" sauce which is likely around 25,000 SHU. Immediately upon eating some, my lips and gums felt numb; sort of like the shot of novocaine one gets at the dentist's office. It did not 'feel' spicy to me, just numbing.

72 hours went by with much of the same. Anytime I would eat anything spicy, even things that aren't that spicy like Siracha (rooster) sauce, there would be localized numbness in my mouth and far less to zero burning/fiery sensation.

Now 4 days later, I don't get the numbing nearly as much (I'd say at least 90% reduced). My sensation of taste has fully returned, yet things that week ago seemed very spicy, don't really feel that 'hot' anymore.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or anything similar? It feels like upon ingesting something *very* spicy, above and beyond what I usually eat, has "reset" my taste buds/capsaicin receptors/etc.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

I've never had that happen but when I started eating hot sauce in march 2011 I couldn't hardly handle tabasco. Now I eat habaneros like they're mild peppers, I don't even flinch when I eat them. So my capsaicin sensitivity has decreased dramatically in less than a year.

I don't think it's humanly possibly for your taste buds to reset, but I get what you mean by growing immunity of sorts to spicy foods. I highly doubt this can happen just by ingesting one spicy pepper, give this a go and see how you fair afterwards.

That is completely insane!!! Why, oh why would anyone do that?

So has anyone every experienced the numbing sensation to which I was referring after eating "hotter than usual" peppers?

ive seen that chick,right before she did the rubbing she also ate like 50 bhuts.. can you imagie her bathroom :rofl:

no comment about the video,

but to the rest of the topic,

MANY people report building up an immunity to the effects of capsaicin. Like eating lots of fresh chiles during the growing season, they can eat (xxxwhatever) but after a couple of months in the winter of not eating those same hot chiles, their heat tolerance goes way down.

I guess you could say the tolerance increases, or the sensitivity to capsaicin decreases with more exposure to hotter things.

Limonaid, your's is a typcial story. We've been there also-

I've been making more and more of my own hot sauce lately. Most times, I make it hotter than my previous batch. The last batch had a couple ghost peppers in it and while eating through a jar (with hummus and pita), I hit a big chunk of Bhut and, for me, it was REALLY hot. I had to put it down and my mouth was on fire.

For reference, the sauces I've made recently clock in roughly at the 60,000 - 80,000 Scoville unit range (estimate from ingredients, referenced commercial sauces with similar ingredients, etc.)

The next day, I decided it was time to eat something spicy again (we are a masochistic bunch, aren't we?). I went to my "medium" sauce which is likely around 25,000 SHU. Immediately upon eating some, my lips and gums felt numb; sort of like the shot of novocaine one gets at the dentist's office. It did not 'feel' spicy to me, just numbing.

72 hours went by with much of the same. Anytime I would eat anything spicy, even things that aren't that spicy like Siracha (rooster) sauce, there would be localized numbness in my mouth and far less to zero burning/fiery sensation.

Now 4 days later, I don't get the numbing nearly as much (I'd say at least 90% reduced). My sensation of taste has fully returned, yet things that week ago seemed very spicy, don't really feel that 'hot' anymore.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or anything similar? It feels like upon ingesting something *very* spicy, above and beyond what I usually eat, has "reset" my taste buds/capsaicin receptors/etc.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

Yah I have had experiences like that while eating super hots straight. Your body is releasing large amounts of endorphins due to accidently biting that hab.
Once your mouth stops numbing in a few more days your capsaicin immunity will be higher . Until then you will have a more sensitive mouth and numbing.
Welcome to the next level!!!

Back