• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Peppermania Mystery seeds - What did you get?

I'm curious who of you gave some mystery seeds from Beth a try. What came out and how did you like it?

I got some mystery seeds with my first order, which arrived yesterday, and gave two different looking seeds (no pubescens) a try. I'm pretty curious if it will wirk and what i'll get. I'll post some pics here, as soon as the first peppers show up one the plants.

i received my mystery pack about 2 weeks ago and to my surprise the package housed 2 large jet black seeds.....hmmm, what could they be?
as a great member(Harry) pointed out, she only lists manzano amarillo......... 1 just broke soil today. yahoo!
(those were the only seeds from the mystery pack i sowed, as the wife will neuter me if i produce anymore plants)

here see for yourself:
P1000334.jpg

hope you get some real surprises - good luck.

I planted six mystery seeds including one pubescens sp. They have all germinated, and based on very rough guesses, I think I have at least two chinenses and one annum. The other two, I'm not even guessing. :)

This thread might be cool to keep alive...

I got some orange rocoto in my pack, too. they are in the germinator now.
I gave the rest to a friend/neighbor to get him interested in growing peppers,
so I'll have to live vicariously through this thread : )

I know Beth has more Pubescens than are on her site.

She gave me some Chile De Seda seeds a while back.

Some of the stuff in the mystery packs is stuff that didn't grow enough pods for selling or might be stuff she is testing for purity,germination rates or whatever.
So don't be supprised if you get peppers that aren't on her site right now.

I just talked to Beth last night.
She was getting ready to go to a hot sauce event of some kind today.

She must be psychic--the Mulato Isleno freebie will solve my Poblano needs.

My 'mystery pack' had about 45 seeds including two of the blackies BC mentioned. I'll roll with calling them Manzano Amarillo--thanks BC.

2012%2520start%2520126%2520014.jpg

Maybe I'll sprout the others and plant in a nearby city wetlands in the middle of the night.... :cool:

I also got two rocoto seeds in my bag. I hope you will show us what variety it is. Because i also ordered a pack of Manzano Amarillo. If you get some other variety out of your seed, i'll maybe give my mystery-rocoto a try, too.

I'm looking forward to see the mystery plants of all you guys develope!

I might plant some. I figured the black one's were some kind of manzano. That's
a variety that a challenge for me to grow.

"I'll roll with calling them Manzano Amarillo"

actually, i call mine manam? until i see for sure what mystery gets solved!
the benefit for me, in having them appear as amarillo is i was going to purchase from tradewinds their yellow & orange manzano but for about a month, i have been trying to place an order for various seeds and when ever i attempt to place my order one of the seeds from my seedlist is not in stock. this time it happened to be the orange manzano.

hey sillyman, i noticed some of my seeds look a lot like your packet, some seeds have that dark brown appearance that has me questioning the viability of them. not that it is that big of a deal for me as i tend to grow seeds based on a style and not on a whim. so mystery packs really don't excite at this point in time.

hey sillyman, i noticed some of my seeds look a lot like your packet, some seeds have that dark brown appearance that has me questioning the viability of them. not that it is that big of a deal for me as i tend to grow seeds based on a style and not on a whim. so mystery packs really don't excite at this point in time.

I'm not Sili, and those looked pretty bad, but I gotta say that some of mine from NMSU/CPI looked pretty drab this year. Turns out, though, they germinated first and all at 100%. Obviously I'll be back for anything I want from them next year. Very cool.

for me, beth tossed in a packet of cheiro recife, a heatless habanero. i don't know if i would ever grow such a creature perhaps as i age, in about 10 years or so i will give them a try as i get sick of the superhotties.

Okay, BC, noted that no confirmation on the black seed (code name 'man-am' ) just yet. I'll attempt to grow them to find out.

The 'mystery pack' thing is fun, I'll check germination of the others with cups. I love to test stuff. But I'm serious, if they sprout, they may have to grow in the 'wilderness.' My garden space is already overmaxxed, so I can't grow much that is unknown. My wife-unit already thinks I'm pepper crazy and way overboard already... :cool:

"I'll roll with calling them Manzano Amarillo"

actually, i call mine manam? until i see for sure what mystery gets solved!
the benefit for me, in having them appear as amarillo is i was going to purchase from tradewinds their yellow & orange manzano but for about a month, i have been trying to place an order for various seeds and when ever i attempt to place my order one of the seeds from my seedlist is not in stock. this time it happened to be the orange manzano.

When I asked Beth about them, I think she said they were orange rocoto - "a challenge to get started but worth the effort" - Hope you don't mind me quoting you, Beth. Your policy is awesome : ) The Congo Trinidad and the Inca Red Drop are pushing up sprouts as we speak. Thanks!

Good to know PaulG! Then I'll call it 'Manam-Orroc' for now. I don't think Beth will mind if we attempt to crack the mystery code a bit. I'll start those two seeds in cup/coffee filter germinator today.

Meanwhile I just had a Cumari from her break the surface. Hoo-hoo.... :cool:

I might end up giving mine away sadly as I just don't have enough room for a gamble haha. I already have so many great strains to grow!

Good to know PaulG! Then I'll call it 'Manam-Orroc' for now. I don't think Beth will mind if we attempt to crack the mystery code a bit. I'll start those two seeds in cup/coffee filter germinator today.

Meanwhile I just had a Cumari from her break the surface. Hoo-hoo.... :cool:

My seeds are just sprouting, but Beth's seeds are among the 'first ups'.

I might end up giving mine away sadly as I just don't have enough room for a gamble haha. I already have so many great strains to grow!

I feel your pain, Mrz. BTW Any science freak is a friend of mine (ex math/sci teacher :) )

Back