misc Product variety

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
Being that I'm growing two types of superhots (Butch T and Bhut Jolokia), I'm wondering if that's a good starting point for selling my wares at the local Farmer's Market. I'm torn between not overextending myself by having too many different types of peppers (and by extension too many products), and not having enough if people want variety. My thinking is I'll try two peppers, and make the basics, like a salsa, a hot sauce, and maybe one item or two based on each type of pepper and see how that works out. Is that a good way to go to start off with?

I would think that the masses would only try supers once!
Then no repeat customers.
Also depends on growing space,, have you grown them before to see what kind of production you get?

Kevin

Hi elcap, welcome to THP!

I've been selling salsa for ~20 years, and fwiw, by far the majority of what sells to mainstream markets is mild to medium. Mild being "0" heat and medium being about a "2" to chileheads and maybe a "4" to non-chileheads.

<1% buys Scorcher or beyond. My initial impression is that if you try to sell bhut and ButchT salsa at your local farmers markets you might be sorely dissappointed in sales, as the general public is/are not chileheads that would appreciate and search out salsa/sauces made with bhuts and scorps.

There is a market for fresh and dried pods, but then again, I don't know how big your local farmer's market is, and after the novelty purchases, how many local people might buy the superhot pods again?

I'm sorry, I feel like I'm really raining on your parade and dreams. :( I just don't want you heading to your local FM with a batch of superhot sauces only to sell a few. On a usual Saturday market for us, out of 100 tubs of salsa, 2-3 would be Scorcher (heat 7) .

Lucky for you there is a GREAT market (online) for fresh pods and sauces.

Also, when you do get to the point of making sauces, make sure to contact your local heath authorities to get all the info about how and where to prepare the sauces in an approved facility. Contact them early on, they are a good source of information about available places to work.

Good Luck! and Keep Growing them Pods!

salsalady

Thanks for the info, all. Oh yes, and Go Gators!

Back