• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

How to increase capsaicin heat tolerance?

only way to build the tolerance is to eat spicy food. If you want to keep it up there, then you need to regularly eat that same level of spicy food until you're ready to take it to the next level. The fastest way to increase tolerance, is to eat something that is way beyond your capacity. It might suck for that 20-30 minutes afterwards but you will get over it quick. Everything you eat that you used to think was really hot, will have seemed tamed down and tolerable. If you don't like that idea....slow and steady wins the race.

I started out eating Pico de guillo at the beginning of my spicy career. I moved up to making home made fresh jalapeno poppers. (De-seeding them not even knowing about where the most heat came from yet...lol) That used to burn me up bad back in the day. Then I moved to the trusty old habanero....this sucker really ramps up the taste buds ability to handle anything underneath it on the heat scale. I grew my first plant and just started using them in my cooking from time to time. I took a long break from most hot stuff for a while for no apparent reason. I then started up again (for no apparent reason...hahaha) I started searching online about hot sauces and found this site (among other unmentionables) Then I found Maria's Naga Jolokia hot sauce and that took me to a whole new level. After I finished a few bottles of that, I had joined this site and bought my first box of super hot peppers.....The rest is history my friend.

Great link Bro' ! I will be making Harrisa with my Eggplants,tomatoes and Aji Habaneros ! 3/5king is right you have to build up a tolerance.

When I first started eating raw habanero's they used to really tear up my stomach...but now they just kinda tear it up. :rofl:

I'm lucky, only the first time I ate habs did my stomach feel uneasy. Everytime after that I have no stomach discomfort.

Oh and if you want to get a tolerance to spicy food, eat spicy food everyday.

Try eating a fresh pepper, then drinking some hot tea, or coffee. A habanero damn near feels like a bhut. The burn just doesn't last as long. :D

Indo, interesting link, thanks

3/5King I just wanted to let you know that the seeds do not add to the heat. They're hot due to the snuggling they do with the placenta but they do not produce any heat of their own. So go right ahead and remove those seeds if you don't like eating them.

Lol I am well aware of this..when I was talking about the jalapeno, I meant the placenta and the seeds. I just cored out jalapenos. Im glad you brought the mistake to my attention. Ill be sure to. Try and remember all of the details next time.

I have built up my tolerance over the years. Heavy dusting of Douglah on every meal (except breakfast - unless its omelets)

One thing I can say. You can build up your tolerance for your mouth and maybe your stomach, but good luck building up tolerance for your butt hole. Burns like hell :0

One thing I can say. You can build up your tolerance for your mouth and maybe your stomach, but good luck building up tolerance for your butt hole. Burns like hell :0

I think i'm a freak of nature because I almost never have that problem, no matter how much spicy stuff I eat.

I have built up my tolerance over the years. Heavy dusting of Douglah on every meal (except breakfast - unless its omelets)

Yeah that's one reason why i ask, tearing up mouth i can handle it like a man, stomach a little grinch in the face, but heat on the butt hole, i'll cry like a baby... :banghead:

I have always been a fan of dried flake, it never really goes bad and depending on the pepper has a great flavor. That said, erring on masochistic tendancies in addition to dusting food daily I would take a heaping spoonful of dried ghost pepper and hold it in my mouth for 4-5 minutes swishing it around until I couldn't handle it any longer and I would then swallow it. You would be suprised how quickly you develop a tolerance and in my short super hot hiatus I am contemplating trying the same technique with all the trinidad scorpion flake I have to regain the high tolerance I had.

I used to be at the Habanero heat level then I went to jail, to my surprice when I came out of jail I couldn't take Tapatio sauce and for those who don't know its probably less spicy than a Jalapeno, I thought about how long it would take to build up my tolerance so I got habaneros for a week in the 3rd week I took a couple ghost peppers and now I laugh at the habaneros, next to come is some 7pots or maruga once my seedlings grow old, but the link gave me great ideas for cooking

I just stare at a blue light. It works I swear!

2012-02-19164310.jpg

I put Dave's insanity on everything from breakfast to dinner... I'm looking forward to going out every day and sampling all of my superhots... It's the only way to keep up the tolerance, bite into a different fresh pepper on the regular. After a while Tabasco lost all it's heat and it just another flavor enhancer

I ordered a burrito covered in jalapenos and it had no heat :( anything weaker than a habanero is barely noticible now D:

I started off eating jalapenos. Then I ate cayennes and used their powder. Eventually these things lost their heat. So I started eating Thai peppers and Thai cuisine. Now I eat whole raw habaneros. I really need to pickle some sometime. I love eating pickled jalapenos still (even though there is no heat for me) and Thai peppers (these are still fun). I think you gotta start with the jalapenos and cayennes then move up to Thai peppers or a similar chile. After that your stomach should be ok with habaneros. You can always eat em in slices.

When I first started eating raw habanero's they used to really tear up my stomach...but now they just kinda tear it up. :rofl:

What type of habaneros. The big red ones here seem to be 3x the heat of the orange ones. Those will rip my stomach up if I don't have enough food in my stomach, lol. The orange ones don't bug my stomach. The worst thing imo is stomach pains. Feels like you ate hot coals! I'd rather shit out fire, lol.

I think i'm a freak of nature because I almost never have that problem, no matter how much spicy stuff I eat.

I used to have that problem, but as I continued to eat hotter foods, I also built up a tolerance down there. Now nothing I eat causes much problems beyond a little burn that confirms I ate something spicy last night.

I agree that "climbing the ladder", so to speak, is really the only true way to get your tolerance up. Keep upping the heat level and you'll continue to increase your tolerance. Every meal except breakfast (sometimes breakfast) I have to put some sort of superhot powder on it. Right now I'm working with coheed196's 7 Deaths powder (Brain Strain and Butch T) (excellent stuff by the way). It is significantly hotter than the bhut/milder 7 pot powders I'm used to. But after eating with that for a week, it doesn't have near the bite it did the first time I used it.

Just curious if anyone who had a high tolerance stopped eating peppers for a long enough time to find that their tolerance had decreased?

Back