• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

AzaMax

I have just finished my two week trial of AzaMax. I used it both as a drench and as a spray. I will say this, I am a believer! I still have quite a few fungus gnats hanging around but nothing like before the treatment. Aphids in the greenhouse are almost non-existent, squishing a few by hand everyday but no longer having to completely cover every plant in Neem oil. Definitely worth the price if you are growing indoors.

Anyone else tried it? How did it work for you?

http://www.generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/azamax.html

I've only had aphids twice, but it worked for me both times. It's the only thing I've tried. I could see it getting a bit pricey as a soil drench, depending on pot size.

I think it took me 2.5 oz to soil drench all of my pots and raised beds. I guess now that I look at it $25 to treat a greenhouse aphid invasion isn't very expensive at all.

You can also get pyrethrins in a fogger that will treat up to 3,000 sq ft, IIRC. I've used Pyrethrum which worked great on the pet thrips, aphids and gnats I had. There is also another product called Attain that my Hort instructors use. The cost is about the same as the Azamax but it saves you on the labor. The lock out time on the greenhouse is minimal as well.

Haven't heard of AzaMax, what's the active ingredient?
Neem oil worked for me (aphids) after 2 or 3 treatments. It's pretty reasonable price wise if you buy undiluted too.

Haven't heard of AzaMax, what's the active ingredient?
Neem oil worked for me (aphids) after 2 or 3 treatments. It's pretty reasonable price wise if you buy undiluted too.

I was using Neem, but after about 6 applications it still hadn't knocked the aphids back enough and was starting to take a toll on the plants by building up on the leaves. My plan now is to switch back and forth between the two in order to keep them off guard.

You can also get pyrethrins in a fogger that will treat up to 3,000 sq ft, IIRC. I've used Pyrethrum which worked great on the pet thrips, aphids and gnats I had. There is also another product called Attain that my Hort instructors use. The cost is about the same but it saves you on the labor. The lock out time on the greenhouse is minimal as well.

My biggest problem with the pyrethrin fogger is that I don't want to be locked out of the greenhouse at all. I bought that thing for mine own health as well as the plants... I need to be outside in the sun for my mental health but I can't stand the cold!

Set off the fogger when you go to bed. Its a 12 hour lock out which isn't bad. Some things have a 4 week reentry time.

AzaMax contains azadirachtin which is the active substance in Neem oil. I think you'd be better off using Neem oil as the oil component has beneficial (pesticidal, anti-fungal) effects on the plants as well. Don't get the hydrophobic extract of Neem oil, as that is just what is left over (the oil) after they extract the azadirachtin from pure Neem oil.

I definitely recommend it if you have a slight to moderate infestation. If its a serious infestation like I had it doesn't seem to work as well as the AzaMax.

good to go thank you, i think im a moderate level right now, funny how the little sons a you know what found their way to my garage, guessing it was a straggler on my orange hab that was prego or something, had no trace of even 1 a week later i come home to find every one of my plants had em except for the ones protected under the burpee dome thingy

good to go thank you, i think im a moderate level right now, funny how the little sons a you know what found their way to my garage, guessing it was a straggler on my orange hab that was prego or something, had no trace of even 1 a week later i come home to find every one of my plants had em except for the ones protected under the burpee dome thingy

Ah, well they don't actually have to be preggo, the evil little things can reproduce asexually! Be watchful, they will sneak under the dome with no problem.

Does anybody have recommendations for seedlings? I has some issues last spring with aphids. Neem oil/azadirachtin-based products sure do work, but they can be rough on the plants. Any ideas for the young ones?

Hey all ! I literally had millions of aphids in my basement after bringing my plants inside for the winter... I tried several different products / application routes.... Only one thing worked a combination of soil drench and foilar spray of azamax.... I have been bug free for almost 6 weeks now. I am a believer for sure. Will never use anything else.

Back