• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

morouga scorpion=brain strain?

I do have to say that this is the most well written piece about the subject and that he keeps all of his thoughts known that they are just that, thoughts and not fact.

I don't know enough about the subject to say what it is, or who is right or wrong and I probably never will. Only testing could really tell us the truth....maybe we should send a letter to the Maury Povich show and ask him to find out "Who dis bebe's daddy is?"

In any case the chili/chilis look/s cool and they are F'ing hot but not worth getting in a fight over. I'm not trying to make money off it though. (Oh and the taste of the 7 pot BS is amazing...lol can't leave that part out)

I've read articles about Jim Duffy, and a few scarce comments by PRF's on the subject. (Which I think is pretty cool, he is staying out of the drama) Correct me if I'm wrong, I've only been following the topic with a slight interest.

I haven't found anything that Jim Duffy has done to make him a bad guy, he is a business man. This site is a community of friends that like to help each other out (not for a profit, well at least too much profit ;) this isn't the business world.

When things first come out of the market and they are hot, they sell for lots of money. Or they have been out for a while and something makes them very popular, prices sky rocket. THIS is business....and we all know you don't mix business with pleasure....we will see where this whole thing goes. I can't say that I am not a little bit curious to find out the truth. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

I haven't been keeping up with this morouga stuff, but those peppers look the same to me.

Looks are only half of it, chilis get mistaken for other chilis all of the time. Especially if they are hybrids or blends. We have no idea what is going on with the two of these chilis.

Looks are only half of it, chilis get mistaken for other chilis all of the time. Especially if they are hybrids or blends. We have no idea what is going on with the two of these chilis.
+1

There are a multitude of combinations of traits that make up each pepper variety. I have tried quite a few now and am still way behind many on here with the mass of different peppers out there.

Now this said I will also state there are many varieties out their that share the same parentage but still diverged down totally different directions to the final end result. Would you lump these together as the same too even though they look completely different? Would you lump peppers together as the same variety if they tasted exactly the same but looked different or grew different?

My point is no one should lump varieties together as the same variety based on just one or two traits being shared.

Now if one or both of the original growers of these perspective peppers thinks that the other is applying a name to their pepper wrongly then that is between them and not anyone else. If neither is concerned then it is none of anyone else's business. People who do make it their business were called shit stirrers where I grew up.

I might be wrong but also I have not seen PRF call their pepper a variety but a strain instead. They are not the same thing completely as a variety of any plant may have several strains of it. For example if ten different members on here grew a variety of pepper from the same packet originally for several generations (like five or more) isolating the pods they kept seed from each generation for the next. In the end each one of the ten members may have slightly different resulting plants because of different growing conditions and trait choices each makes. Maybe one members plants ripens a few weeks sooner because they themselves lived in a short season area so only used seed from the earliest producing plants. We see this particular trait listed on several peppers. Because this was gained by selection and not crossing it would be termed a strain of an existing variety.

Just my thoughts on this.

I think if someone that is supposed to be a "professional," like Jim Duffy, there are no chilis that get mistaken for other chilis, ESPECIALLY if you are claiming a new world record.
I do not hide from the fact that I still to this day say that although Jim Duffy brings a LOT of attention to the pepper community, the dude is a HACK that does nothing but try to make a buck. This is at least the second attempt at making a claim that he has the new world's hottest pepper.
There is plenty more behind the subject, which I will let the parties involved make public, if they so desire. What I WILL say is that, if you look at a "Marouga Scorpion" picture side-by-side next to a proper Brain Strain picture, the pods look IDENTICAL.
I applaud the dude for trying to make a few bucks. But, as I said earlier, this isnt the first time he has TRIED to claim a world record. IF his pepper is legit, then it will make it into Guiness. Until then, it's just ANOTHER marketing scheme by the Dynamic Duo.

Well this is my first time chiming in on this debate!
which should not be a debate!! IMO

I have grown both Brains for the past 2 seasons, and TS Morouga Blend for 3!

And the difference is immense!!

I can spot either from 100 yards! :cool:
And the taste is different too!

My 2 cents!
Kevin

My 2 cents!
Kevin

Taste,? how long after the burn can you taste it? LOL.

I'm getting a few ripe brains coming off my hydro plant in a few weeks I can't wait.

Glad to see someone actually saying there's a difference in them.

Seems to me anyone trying to prove either way needs to test it via genetic testing. I am sure the CPI could do the testing....

My 2 cents!
Kevin

I'm glad you typed this. I'm growing TS Morouga and Brain Strains for the first time and the plants look quite noticeably different.

I'm growing both as well, and they do look quite a bit different so far. I grew morugas last year but this is the first year for brain strain.

Back